Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hows My Itinerary....Any Fairy or Mystical Sights?

Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

This may be a silly question. We will be travelling to Ireland next May with my 20-yr old daughter who is enchanted with fairies and mystical things.Right know our itinerary is:

Arrive Shannon
1 night Cashel
2 nights Kenmare
3 nights Dingle
3 nights County Galway/Westport?
2 nights Ennis (for Fledh Nua Festival)
Leave Shannon

Anyone experience a mystical sight (or maybe a leprechaun or two) along this route? Thanks for the help.

Gail
Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM

not a silly question at all...

matter a fact there is a leprechaun crossing sign on the road from kenmare thru killarney national park, look for it (and the wee people) just after you pass ladies view...if there are laprechauns and fairies, they surely hang out in the wooded areas here.

in the conamara bog area between leenane and kylemore abbey we spotted a lone shoe in the middle of the road...obviously someone forgot to tie their shoes together at night.

our driver/guide told us several stories about fairy rings and fairy trees, bad luck has always been with those who destroy these sacred places.

2 good books to get for your daughter to research places to go in Ireland that may be of interest...

The Traveller's Guide to Sacred Ireland
by Gary Meehan

Celtic Journeys/A Traveler's Guide to Ireland's Spiritual Legacy
by Steve and Lois Rabey

Most of the Christian sights were previously pagan or Celtic sights...so have spiritual and historical significance to many Irish groups

Cashel is wonderful

don't forget to visit the stone circle on the edge of town in Kenmare

of course Dingle/Slea head drive is sprinkled with many significant sights

I would definately pick westport over galway...visit croagh Patrick and drive thru the doo lough valley...beautiful area

like your itinerary, plenty of time to explore some of my favorite areas...kenmare and dingle are still tops on my list

Jul 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Just don't post your fairy question under my question about meeting people in the pubs...some Irish are insisting they are like people everywhere and their pubs are like bars everywhere. (I wouldn't know as I literally haven't been in a bar anywhere for 30 years!) But please if you find out where the fairies live do let me know as I have always wanted to hold one in my hand.)
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

CHIP..Will look for the leprechaun sign. Ill keep it a secret! Thank you for your book suggetions. I will check them out.

MELISSA..Yes I will let you know if I spot one. Maybe one will show up after a few pints of Guiness.
Jul 9th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I thought the fairies came to visit you after drinking poteen...

Seriously, a wonderful book on the subject is Faeries by Brian Froud and Alan Lee (see amazon). After reading this it's more than fairies you'll maybe find in Ireland!
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM

I am 100% Irish and have never had the pleasure of encountering a Leprechaun one-on-one. But Leprechauns are not the only mystical creatures you will find in Ireland.

Westport is in County Mayo! I personally have heard the Children of Lir (bewitched and turned into Swans) while playing golf at Carne Golf Links near Belmullet (northwest County Mayo, about an hour from Westport). There are four: Conn, Aodh, Fiachra and Fionualla. I don't know what it takes to free them from their enchantment ..