Pompeii/Capri Can it be done in one day?

Mar 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Pompeii/Capri Can it be done in one day?

We will be in Naples in June 2007 for a cruise port stop. Thinking of hiring a car and a guide for 4 hours to tour Pompeii. Upon return, we would like to take the hydrofoil to Capri for the rest of the day. The ship will be in port from 7:30am to 7:30pm. Can this be done? We heard visiting Capri could be a problem because the ferries are not reliable. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Hello 3happytravelers, my answer is a strong "no". Well maybe it could be done but I certainly would not want to attempt it quite frankly although I understand your desire to visit both places. I will be interested in what other Fodorites opinions are. Best wishes and do enjoy your cruise and time ashore.
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM

I agree with LoveItaly. I think that you can do one or the other, but not both. The ferries to Capri are more reliable than the hydrofoils, so I think it's unlikely that you'd run into a problem. Have fun!
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM

I agree. A sad - no. Allowing 6 hours max each including all travel and waiting around time just can't be done.
Mar 9th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Hi 3HT - I think it really depends what you want to get out of your day ...

If you want to see Pompeii thoroughly with a guide, then I agree it's not really viable.

If you are happy to limit your time at Pompeii to ... say, 2 hrs - and have a more generic visit - then it becomes viable to include Capri for 2/3 hours (- via Sorrento).

If you do decide to do both, it would probably be better to go to Capri first (- hydrofoils currently at 07.55 or 08.35 - subject to change), then head back to Pompeii (- via Sorrento) at lunchtime. (You could taxi from the dock at Sorrento to save time ...)

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all the responders. I must apologize for incorrectly using the term ferry in my OP when I meant hydrofoil. If we follow Steve's suggestion, does anyone have any advice for returning to Naples from Pompeii? I read about the Circumvesuvius train as a means of travel to\from Popeii. Should we consider this as an option to return to Naples? Does anyone have any advice on getting to the port from the Naples train station (if we decide to take the train)?
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:46 AM
ira

Hi 3,

If you follow SJ's advice, take the Circumvesuviana to Naples Centrale.

With what you have saved by not hiring a car and guide, you can take a cab to the ship.

An alternate is to hire a limo to take you from Pompei Scavi to the Naples docks - about 90E.

Mar 9th, 2007, 06:55 AM

It would be a shame to go to beautiful Capri in June and not take the time to wander around and have cool drinks on the top of the cliffs. We poked around for hours -
Pompeii also deserves several hours. There is so much to see and the city is quite large.
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:55 AM

There is no way that you can do this becaue the ferries to and fro Capri run limited hours. And after a morning in Pompei (but you really need 4/5 hours to see anything never mind everything) and a quick lunch you would get to Capri just in time to turn around and come back. (When we were there the last ferry to Sorrento left around 5pm.)

Separately, you are really best off staying on Capri - since it's completely different at night - after the tourist throngs have left - than during the day, when you can hardly walk without falling over someone.