Search

Poland in November....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poland in November....

Hello all,

I'll be travelling to Poland with work, likely in November. I'll be staying in Wraclaw through the weeks, so I'll have ample time to see the sights there. My main questions are surrounding my free weekends (of which I'll likely have 2).

I'm certain that one weekend will be spent in Krakow, but it seems from my research that there is so much to see there. Can anyone recommend some "must-sees" that are centered around the Old Town, and will give me a suitable taste of the city?

For my second weekend, I'm not sure what to do. I've always wanted to visit Prague, but it seems to be too far to go for just a weekend (I would have to travel by train - planes are too expensive!). Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I wrong? An alternative could be Zakopane or the Slovakian Tatras - would this option be closer to get to, and give me more of a chance to explore?

I'm not big into museums - I prefer walking, photographing architecture, and browsing through shops. This will likely be my only trip to this part of the world, so I'd like to see as much as possible, but take less time getting there & more time to explore!

Thanks for any & all help.
Tim
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Just topping this - man, these posts drop off the page pretty quick!

Also, any train advice from Wraclaw to Krakow, Zakopane, or Prague is appreciated.

Tim
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:30 PM

Hi,
For train rates and schedules, you can go to www.raileurope.com
I have also called them (their number is on the website...I think you will find their number on the page about rail passes.) I like to call because I always have questions to ask. Also, I don't believe overnight trains are listed on the web page.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:39 AM

Hello Tim! Wroclaw is and was a very important city of Europe. Try your library for a copy of Davies, Microcosm.
Don't miss a Mexican dinner at, SPIZ restaurant. Visit the 1936 Olympic venue. It is still intact. Trams are good for getting around. Try,<www.wroclaw.pl>. Train service is direct to Krakow. Check the service though. You may be able to do a one day trip to Czestochowa.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 12:30 PM

Prague is about 5hr trip by train so definitly is a good weekend trip. Take one Day train - to see the suburbs and then maybe overnight train to save some time where you traveling while sleeping...
Buy tickets locally (november is off season so all be cheaper and much space available)... Wroclaw it self is also very nice (Old City - with it's very large square) - for some day trips from Wroclaw - try Castle in Ksiaz, or Table Mountains ... Check with local travel agancies for some local excursions.
To Krakow it's about 6hrs but also worth a trip and a weekend...

BTW Polish Rail has a web site www.pkp.pl
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your help, all. For some reason I thought Prague was further away than that - I think I will definitely get there for a weekend. If I can get to Prague & Krakow on weekends, plus see lots of Wroclaw through the week, I think I'll be doing OK!

Thanks again! Any other tips & help is appreciated!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Train fares on RailEurope are inflated by thirty percent: you do better to buy in Prague. Polish sleepers and night trains are at http://www.wars.com.pl/ceny/ceny2_eng.htm/.

Wroclaw has two old centres, one round the square and an older one across the river.

[email protected]
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:42 PM

Czech Airlines often has special internet fares between cities. Depending on the dates, you might get a cheap price on a flight that rivals train fare. Worth a look, because you really should see Prague if you have the chance! (Especially if you like architecture..) www.csa.cz