Search

Plitvice Lakes NP plan?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plitvice Lakes NP plan?

Hi, all,
Well, we are leaving soon for our trip to Croatia and Italy, and I haven’t yet gotten our tickets for Plitvice NP. I’ve read different recommendations for approaching the walk, and would love to hear your recommendations.

We are staying one night at Plitvice Miric Inn. We’ll be traveling from Rovinj on September 22, so, right now, only planning for the morning of September 23. I’m not sure we’d have a lot of energy for walking after the drive, but if it’s recommended highly, I will consider a 2-day pass. I do think, though, that the morning of the 23rd will be enough for us.

We travel to Zadar later that day, so not too long a drive after the park. We are not hikers and I don’t think we would spend more than 3-4 hours, if even that much. A nice taste of it will be fine - we don’t need to soak up (literally!) every lake or fall, but maximize the experience. I also get the sense that we might want to avoid boat rides and shuttles if there are long waits.

Is a one-day pass for the morning sufficient for what I’m describing? And, more importantly, which entrance? I know the hotel is nearer Entrance 2, but it seems Entrance 1 is generally preferred.

I have some mild mobility issues and long & steep uphills are tiring for me but otherwise, I have few problems with walking.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:47 AM

I think it’s ok. One thing I would recommend, go on the sunny day. If your first day is sunny but next looks like clouds, go the first day. I think you can wait to book.

I like to start at entrance 1 and end at 2. You might encounter a wait for the boat. I have never had to wait for a shuttle but I just Kung fu my way on. The good people at Plitvice Miric inn can help too.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:50 AM

We did exactly that but were traveling from Trogir to Rovinje. A full morning was enough for us.....so happy we saw it and enjoyed what we did see.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy and rialtogirl! I will wait until we are closer to the day before I buy them. Thanks for the reassurance!
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Yo Progol,
Agree with RialtoGirl regarding the possibility of rain. We booked 2 days/nights on purpose, so that if it rained upon arrival, there'd still be a repeat opportunity the following morn.
And that was exactly what happened.
Few regard the walks around Plitvice as overly taxing---you should be fine.
I am done. the end
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Zebec. I plan to wait a little while to book the tickets, though I’m hoping all will be well for the morning. We’ll both feel better if we’re a bit rested.

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 12:20 PM

Although a sunny day would be preferable, we ended up going in a light rain and still had a wonderful time. I think the rain kept the crowds away so we had some sections of the park almost to ourselves. I can't remember the order of the entrances, but we decided to do more of a downhill walk rather than uphill.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Ktravel,
Thanks for that perspective! Of course, a sunny day would be nice, but good to know that Pltivice NP is enjoyable even in light rain.

I appreciate all the comments!
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by progol
Hi, all,
Well, we are leaving soon for our trip to Croatia and Italy, and I haven’t yet gotten our tickets for Plitvice NP. I’ve read different recommendations for approaching the walk, and would love to hear your recommendations.

We are staying one night at Plitvice Miric Inn. We’ll be traveling from Rovinj on September 22, so, right now, only planning for the morning of September 23. I’m not sure we’d have a lot of energy for walking after the drive, but if it’s recommended highly, I will consider a 2-day pass. I do think, though, that the morning of the 23rd will be enough for us.

We travel to Zadar later that day, so not too long a drive after the park. We are not hikers and I don’t think we would spend more than 3-4 hours, if even that much. A nice taste of it will be fine - we don’t need to soak up (literally!) every lake or fall, but maximize the experience. I also get the sense that we might want to avoid boat rides and shuttles if there are long waits.

Is a one-day pass for the morning sufficient for what I’m describing? And, more importantly, which entrance? I know the hotel is nearer Entrance 2, but it seems Entrance 1 is generally preferred.

I have some mild mobility issues and long & steep uphills are tiring for me but otherwise, I have few problems with walking.
The entrances are not far apart. I walked back to the Miric from the exit from the park. I forget the numbers but I selected the entrance considered to be the “best” one. Sounds like they is entrance 1. I thought Plitvice was gorgeous!
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MinnBeef,
That’s very helpful. I can’t wait!