Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

please help - zur Wiener Staatsopr or Hotel Marc Aurel? (Vienna

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:14 PM
beth

I have spent a lot of time researching a place to stay in Vienna for 4 nights. By looking other places I have narrowed it down to zur Wiener Staasoper. I have searched old messages here and found very little on these two places. I need a place centrally located (in center center - museums, etc.), no more than $125 USD and it must have off street parking. Anyone have personal experience with either of these places? I greatly appreciate all input. Thank you.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:01 PM
topper

topping

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Be careful of using Marc Aurel hotel in Vienna. They charged us a diff. rate at check out than they had agreed to upon checking in. Make CERTAIN you geta a confirmation number and the rate established in writing. Seems their rates can change daily. Got 4 of us 40E extra and we were trying to leave to catch a plane.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Beth, I haven't stayed at either of the hotels you mention, but I have stayed at the Admiral Hotel which I can highly recommend. It's located behind the Museum Quartier just off the Ringstrasse and a 5-minute walk to the Ubahn and trams. They have a few parking spots for guests in a lot about 1/2 block from the hotel but you must request a spot when booking your room.

Their website (www.admiral.co.at) lists singles around 75 Euro and doubles from 99 to 126 Euro.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:06 AM

I really enjoyed the zur Wiener Staatsopera when I was there last fall. It's only a few blocks away from the Stephensdom and the metro is nearby. The opera is very near too if you will be attending any performances. The breakfast there is great--a large selection of breads, cheeses, meats, soft boiled eggs, granola. The rooms are nice, albeit slightly older--your typical European older hotel. It has lots of character though. The staff was friendly. They have umbrellas to use in the lobby. The elevator works well. I would stay there again.