Please help with theatre tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to book tickets directly with the theatre for Chicago and Mamma Mia. I got the phone numbers off a web site someone suggested but for Mamma Mia - it's not the ticket office - it's ticketmaster and for Chicago - I actually got the theatre but they will only take cash. I know I keep reading that other people have bought directly from the theatre from the US - what am I missing?????
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 01:03 PM

I do this all the time and can't imagine what the problem is. I've never heard of a theatre box office taking cash only except for an occassional resale ticket at the door.<BR>Mama Mia: Prince Edward Theatre: 020-7447-5400<BR>Chicago: Adelphi: 020-7344-0055<BR><BR>As you probably know, from the States first dial 011 -- 44, and then drop the first 0.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 01:03 PM

I've just never heard of cash only at a theatre boxoffice.<BR> <BR>Generally, it's just calling the box office directly, and providing your credit card number. This avoids agency commissions. You can get box office telephone numbers from the officiallondontheatre.co.uk/ website, and seating charts from any of several websites. Two are<BR>www.albemarle-london.com/ www.londontheatre.co.uk/ <BR>
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Over the years I have contacted at least 11 different London theatres directly from home and booked with a credit card. Never any problem. The only explanation I can think of - and it is a stretch - Are you calling during London's business day? Perhaps you are calling when the box office is closed and are reaching a servoce.<BR><BR>As Peter says - the only time theatres demand cash is for returns - and sometimes even then they will accept cards if they take pity on you. (The original purchaser does not get their money back unless the tix are re-sold and that transaction is made easier by the Cash only rule)
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:08 PM

For Mamma Mia, you will have to telephone the Prince Edward Theatre during office hours to avoid being transferred to Ticetmaster.<BR><BR>For Chicago - I'm not certain, but I believe I read somewhere that you can only avoid paying a booking charge if you buy the tickets in person at the box office.<BR><BR>FYI here are a couple of links you may find useful:<BR><BR>www.theatremonkey.com - very informative site, particularly with regard to which are the good seats.<BR><BR>www.theatrenow.com - good discounts available for lastminute show tickets.<BR>
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:52 PM

I just bought &quot;Chicago&quot; tickets (w/credit card and NO booking fees) on the officiallondontheatre website. This was through the Mayor's special (see right-hand side of page on the website).<BR><BR>Today, I managed to finally get through to the Prince Edward Theatre and bought 3 tickets to &quot;Mama Mia&quot; for Mar 18 . . . booking fee only &pound;1. <BR><BR>If the theatre is closed or busy, the call does roll over to Ticketmaster.<BR><BR>According to the theatre chart on TheatreMonkey, we have excellent seats . . . Stalls, Row K, seats 15-16-17. We'll pick the tickets up at the box office.<BR><BR>So far, we have bought tickets to &quot;My Fair Lady&quot; and &quot;Chicago&quot; though the Mayor's special . . . hang in there and keep checking back.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Sandy ([email protected])