Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with place to stay in Florence

Dec 7th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I know there have been quite a few posts about this recently but I've noticed that most of the inquiries are from people with children.
My friend and I (late 40-'s & late 30-s) are going to be in Florence the first week of May next year. This will be my first time in Italy not on a tour. My friend has never been. Can anyone suggest a place to stay between 100-150 euros a night? We would really like local flavor and hosts that are helpful with restaurant suggestions etc. Any other tips for our trip are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dec 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I would suggest Hotel Casci. It is 150 Euros and it is close to everything, and a small friendly family owned hotel. I found it from this message board and it was a great find !
Dec 7th, 2005, 11:49 AM
ira

Hi L,

Try entering <Florence AND hotel> in the "check this forum box".

Dec 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I concur with Hotel Casci! I have stayed there on three separate occasions and I've never been disappointed.
Dec 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Try La Residenza del Pronscolo,
http://www.proconsolo.com/index_eng.asp

and

Tourist House Ghiberti
http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/eng/01-home.html

Have fun!

Dec 7th, 2005, 02:03 PM

In reviews on slowtrav.com, the Residenza il Carmine (www.residenzailcarmine. com) gets consistently high praise for its apartments.

One is fairly large and priced accordingly. The smaller 1 bedroom apartments cost less. They all rent on a daily or weekly basis, with all-inclusive prices.

For me the appeal of the Carmine -- which I have not stayed in, only researched -- is that it is on the Oltr'arno -- the "far" side of the Arno that is less busy and perhaps more atmospheric, though still only a 10 minute walk from all the main attractions.

Not to suggest that the Oltr'arno is a backwater. The Residenza is beside the Carmine church, home to Giotto's famous frescoes (Adam and Eve expelled from the Garden of Eden); nearby are the Pitti palace, Boboli gardens, church of Santo Spirito, etc
Dec 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Hi,
I highly recommend Hotel Globus, I spent three nights there in September. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, offering great insider tips on restaurants and things to do while in Florence. Here is their website:

http://www.florence-hotels.hotelglobus.com/
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I actually stayed at the Globus, and everyone there was very helpful and friendly. I loved it for its modern decor.

I should have recommended it too, but I am not sure it is for everyone...some people want a more traditional European-style hotel like the Casci.

So, another vote for the Globus here!
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM

We'll be staying at Residenza Il Villino...currently #4 on TripAdvisor and consistently near the top for at least the last two years.

Lots of photos here:
http://tinyurl.com/dfkkh

Read the reviews on trip advisor here.
http://tinyurl.com/dqzn5
Reviewers always emphasize the hospitality (incl excellent restaurant suggestions). It appears to perfectly suit your requirements.

We're paying 120eu in January. It's a little higher in summer.
Dec 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM
ira

ttt
Dec 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM

I used to stay at the Grand Baglioni when I was there on business . . location is great, just a few blocks from everything.

http://www.florence-hotels.hotelbaglioni.it/

Rich
Dec 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM

We stayed at the Relais Uffizi a few years ago. In high season, it's a little above your budget (180 euros for a double), but I don't know if the first week of May is included or not. It's located in a little alleyway just off the Piazza Signoria, no more than two minutes from the entrance to the Uffizi Gallery. The breakfast room overlooks the piazza. Their web address is www.relaisuffizi.it

Good luck,

W. A. Robison
http://www.warobison.com
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I have been busy looking things up.
My friend had a suggestion from someone for the Soggiorno Michelangelo. Has anyone stayed there? I could only find one post about it and it wasn't one from someone who stayed there. Her friend has stayed there. It is a little far out from the main sites. She thinks a place far out will be a lot quieter. Anyone know of a place that is quiet and closer to the sites for 100-150 euros with a historic feel? Thanks so much. I've looked up some hotels and they've been a little too "modern" for me. I don't need a tv or cable. A good bed, yes. What about Relais Cavalcanti?
Thanks again.
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Faredolce, was the La Residenza Pronscolo quiet? It looks very nice. thanks

Residenza il Villino looks great too. thanks for the suggestion. It has lots of great reviews on tripadvisor. JeanneB let me know how you liked it when you get back!

Dec 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I'll write a trip report upon our return. Will try to remember to come here and flag you, but keep an eye out for it if I forget.

I seem to recall that "quiet" was one of the features oft mentioned on Trip Advisor reviews of the Il Villino. Of course, we're going in January, so not a good test. But I'm pretty sure others have commented on it.

Dec 13th, 2005, 09:28 AM

How about the Morandi alla Crocetta? We really enjoyed our stay there.

www.hotelmorandi.it
Dec 13th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JeanneB.

The Hotel Morandi looks beautiful but it is over our price range.

The Residenza Proconsolo emailed me with a good rate for our dates. Has anyone stayed here? Pros - cons?