Please help with ferry question.

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with ferry question.

My husband and I will be in Croatia in Sept. We plan on being in Dubrovnik for 4 nights. From there we plan on renting a car and driving to Orebic and taking the car ferry to Korcula for 3 nights. When we leave Korcula we would like to go to Hvar and I’m not sure how we do that with a car. I cannot understand the ferry schedules but from what I’ve read online, there may only be a car ferry that goes to Hvar from Korcula 2 days a week. Can anyone tell me how we can get to Hvar from Korcula with our car. We can drive to another ferry port if necessary. Do we have to go to Split? Do frequent car ferries run from Split to Hvar.
I’d would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You got a lot of responses on your original thread. To find all your posts, click on your name . . . . .
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

If there is only a car ferry twice a week from Korcula to Hvar, then my best option would be to drive to Split and get a car ferry from there to Hvar which run daily?

I'm sorry I have to ask more questions but I honestly cannot understand the ferry schedule and want to be sure we can get from Korcula to Hvar before we look into accomodations.

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I'm sorry I have to ask more questions but I honestly cannot understand the ferry schedule . . . . "

Then it might work better if you post your follow up questions to the other thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35176711

Especially since some experts have already posted there, and neither thread has Croatia in the title. They are more likely to find that thread w/ their own posts.

just trying to help . . . . .
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM

whatever you do
check and check again
i didnt experience this personally but witnessed a young girl trying to get back to split from hvar
the timetable she had with her was different from the times on the computer at the tourist information bureau

she had missed the last ferry back to split which meant she mightve even missed her flight from split the next morning

croatia is a wonderful place - dont get me wrong
but they are a bit 'manyana' in the sense that things like this dont phase them
theyre pretty slack in advertising stuff
and sometimes youre lucky to just stumble on great things to do

it is part of the appeal though - i guess
the people we dealt with were very friendly and helpful
theyre just not so up on the way of tourism yet and thats a good thing for many of us

so if youre not understanding the timetables and i dont blame you then see if you can actually ring someone
a tourist bureau in split
or hvar
or the the ferry service
and speak to a person directly
and then a few days before youre set to go talk to a local as well
make sure you have a window of time - a safety margin so that you dontmiss an important departure time/ connecting flights etc

good luck
you will love croatia
dubrovnik is a marvel

we sailed the islands and in hvar we hired a scooter for the day
on vis we got a car
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Jadrolinija's schedules are on www.jadrolinija.hr.
The car ferry MARKO POLO sails from Korcula on Thursdays and Sundays at 1330, arriving in Stari Grad on Hvar island at 1630. There are passenger services every day from Korcula to Hvar, but the only other way by car is via the mainland.
Jadrolinija runs car ferries from Drvenik to Sucuraj on Hvar island at least six times a day and from Split to Stari Grad at least three times a day. The summer timetables for these local ferries have not been published yet, but the winter timetables give an indication of the minimum frequency.
Jadrolinija's services are, in my experience over the past 20 years, very reliable: their timetables do not change once they have been published.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. GeoffHamer, could you please tell me if we choose to go to Drvenik to catch the car ferry, do we have to take a ferry across to the mainland from Orebic. If so, do those car ferries run often.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Orebic is on the Peljesac peninsula which is joined to the mainland at Ston. If you're heading north, there is a ferry from Trpanj to Ploce which reduces the road distance. There is also a summer ferry service from Korcula to Drvenik which is run by Mediteranska Plovidba. This is the 2008 timetable:
www.medplov.hr/timetable/MP_korcula_drvenik.pdf
This website summarizes all the connections to Korcula:
www.korcula.net/grad/pitanja/index.html
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:34 AM

Hi dcreighton!

I too am pulling my hair out with the car ferry (or coastal) schedules from Dubrovnik-Korcula-Split-Hvar etc. I have been studying it for ages.

From what I gather, the Korcula-Hvar car ferry only runs at least 2x/week according to the jardolinija site. Neither days coincide with the day we plan to leave Korcula, so we have no choice but to drive to Drvenik and take the ferry to Sucuraj, which runs more frequently. We are going to do this and just drive to Hvar from Sucuraj. Now I have read from this board and others that the drive experience range from death defying to frightening to "not a big deal". It depends on your comfort level but my husband and I have driven all over Europe to some really challenging roads so I hope we will be able to tackle this.

You can take the car ferry from Split to Hvar but it leaves ~6:30am or ~7:00 am (by oevernighting in either place) but since we are coming from Korcula I don't think we can make that time unless we start driving at 2:00am!!(our plan is to explore Split/Trogir on return from Hvar).

From Hvar, we plan to get another car ferry to Split. The Jardolinija ferry only runs 2x/week accdg to its site and again the days did not coincide with our planned departure from Hvar. HOWEVER, I read that there are LOCAL Hvar car ferries that go this route more frequently, so I will go this route (have not seen the schedules yet).

I think its up to you to do your itinerary around the schedules of the car ferries, but we are not willing to do that, because it will involve cutting a day off on one place and adding a day or two in another. I"m sure you'll be able to figure something out. Good Luck!

Sorry for the long post.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Slight Correction:the Korcula-Hvar car ferry ONLY runs 2x/week.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:52 AM

We have a similar plan, but we will take the bus from Dubrovnik to Korcula, the catamaran from Korcula to Split, and pick up a car there. That catamaran also stops at Hvar. Maybe you could rent a car on Hvar?

There's a Korcula web site where you can ask specific questions: www.korculainfo.com