Croatia car ferries, Hvar-Korcula

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to leave Hvar on September 30 and spend the next couple of nights in Korcula. As I read the ferry schedules, we will have to take three different car ferries to get there (Hvar/Sicuraj to Drvenik, Ploce to Timpanj, and Orebic to Domince). There also seems to be a car ferry directly from Drvenik to Dominice, but I can't seem to figure out times it leaves from Drvenik.

Can anyone suggest our best options?
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 03:47 PM

I have found it hard to get from island to island in Croatia, and wound up ferrying to the mainland and driving. In fact that is just what I did from Hvar to Korcula a few years ago – drove south on Hvar island, ferry to the mainland, drove to Orebic, ferry to Korcula. Took just about all day.

(You do not have to take the ferry from Ploce to Timpanj; you can drive the whole way, but again, it takes time.)

There are long-distance boats (Jadrolinija) that would save you a ton of driving and angst, but late September is slightly off-season for Croatia ferries, and you may find the times these boats run do not coincide with your schedule.

Jadrolinija ferries ply the waters from Dubrovnik on the south to Korcula-Hvar-Split and on north to Rijeka, and return.

A quick check shows that Jadrolinija doesn't run ferries from Hvar to Korcula on Thursdays in September (instead, Tuesdays and Saturdays). But find the Jadrolinija site for more definitive information. Could you leave Hvar two days earlier?

You might also find good information here: http://www.croatiatraveller.com/ferr...al_ferries.htm
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM

As Geonev says, you either have to plan your departures around that twice-weekly Jadrolinija ferry or take several ferries to connect from Hvar to Korcula.

The question is, do you REALLY need a car for this portion of the trip? If you can find a way to ditch the car in Split or something (not sure where you are going after Korcula, but I'll assume you are coming from Split or Trogir to Hvar), you can take a daily fast catamaran from Split to Hvar. That same catamaran continues on to Korcula Town. I haven't spent time in Hvar, but in Korcula Town you can certain live without a car, probably you can in Hvar too. Not having a car might save you a lot of travel hassle getting from place to place.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM

We just came back from Croatia a couple of days ago. As Andrew posted, the car ferry from Stari Grad (Hvar) to Korcula (~3.5 hrs) only goes twice a week, so you have to plan your departure from Hvar around these days (as we did). But it really saves a lot of time and it is a pleasant journey along the Adriatic.

We also took the car ferry from Drvenik to Sucuraj, which runs more often, every hour. But the drive from Sucuraj to Hvar is quite long and though it was not as white-knuckle drive as I had expected (DH was driving), the roads are narrow and not as well-paved....although nearer Hvar, the roads become smoother and better maintained.

Like you, I have debated whether we wanted to take 3 ferry rides to Korcula from Hvar versus adjusting our schedule to be able to get the direct boat. In the end, we were glad to do the direct trip as we didn't want to waste a whole day just getting from one place to another.

BTW, we were really happy to have a car in Korcula. I don't like waiting for the bus to get from one area of the island to the other plus we wanted to visit some of the wine-producing villages further west as well as go to some of the bays on the southern portion. A car enabled us to do all of these.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM

If you don't need the car on Hvar, you could just rent a car while on Korcula (and on Hvar too) and take catamaran.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM

We are planning a trip to Croatia next September and would love to hear how you went with ferries etc