Croatia: Ferry and day tour question

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia: Ferry and day tour question

I am going to Croatia this June for my Honeymoon and was just finalizing some plans. We are flying into Zagreb, renting a car and driving to Plitvice for the night. We'll tour the park in the morning then drive to Trogir to spend the night. Next morning we drive to Split, drop off the car and catch the boat to Hvar town. We spend 3 nights on Hvar, maybe we'll take a boat to Bol for a day. From Hvar, we head to Dubrovnik for 4 nights. In Dubrovnik, I would like to take a day tour of Montenegro.
Sounds like I will have a wonderful time, many thanks to most of you who have already helped me out and answered my questions. But I have a couple of final logistal questions.

-We want to do a day trip to Montenegro. I looked up a few tour companys and have read that Atlas is good. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far a tour company or whether I should seek out a private tour.

-Second is the transportation from Hvar to Dubrovnik, should I take the ferry or the ferry and the bus? How often does it run and how much? How choppy is the ferry trip?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Here's the ferry link:
http://www.jadrolinija.hr
That route is not daily, I don't remember the price but it is not expensive.
(You should check the schedules for Split to Stari Grad or Hvar as well)
It is at least a 6 hour ride from Stari Grad (Hvar) to Dubrovnik, but it is breathtakingly scenic. Shouldn't be choppy at that time of year. I get slightly woozy inside the boat, but I can easily stay inside long enough to get a coffee. It's nicer on deck of course, and in June it shouldn't be too breezy to do so.
If the ferry is not running on the day you need it, you can take a ferry from Stari Grad (1.5 hours) to Split and easily catch a bus (they are practically hourly). The bus ride is about 4.5 hours and it is also really scenic.
Congratulations (I honeymooned there too)!

I believe there are excursion boats from Jelsa (Hvar) to Bol. Otherwise, you can pay for an excurion there from Hvar (check at the tourist office as soon as you can--the excursions are not always daily). After being to both, I'd just explore Hvar (definitely take a boat to Palmizana) and find my own beach rather than share Zlatni Rat with hundreds.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

I just checked the schedules and the boat out from Split to Stari Grad was on the day I needed: Monday June 4th. But I can't find anything for Thursday June 7th leaving from Stari Grad or Hvar. Ok - figured the system out a bit better, and although nothing is leaving from Hvar there are boats from SUĆURAJ on that day. I was getting scared my carefully planned trip was going to get complicated. Are those all car ferries? Are there non car ferries that run more often?

So does it seem reasonable to drive/bus from Hvar Town to SUĆURAJ, take the Ferry to Drvenik, then drive or take the bus to Dubrovnik? Is it worth it to keep my rental car and bring it to Hvar, or is it a hassle to have on the island?
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Don't worry!
It is an option to keep the car on Hvar: the ferry from Split to Stari Grad is a car ferry, as is the ferry from Sucuraj to Drevnik on the mainland. It is a long drive from Hvar to Sucuraj--I have heard wildly varying reports about this drive, but the latest report is that it is no longer a sketchy road.
You can't get to Sucuraj on a bus, and finding the Drevnik-Dubrovnik bus schedule would be a pain. If you don't want to have a car on Hvar, just go to Split and take the bus to Dubrovnik from there. It is a gorgeous drive--I got really stir crazy on the long ferry ride, so don't worry you're missing out on anything. The buses are comfortable, they stop for breaks.
I may be wrong, but I do not know of any catamarans (non-vehicle boats) that travel between Hvar and Dubrovnik, or any other helpful route.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

The Jad site couldn't be more confusing. When I do a schedule search, I see Split to Hvar only on Monday and Friday, same with Hvar to Korcula. But when I look at the line table, it seems these run everyday.
Anyway - so I think I will take the car Ferry from Split to Hvar, then on Thursday drive to Sucuraj and take the ferry to Drvenik.
Seems like the drive to Sucuraj takes about 2 hours, and the ferry is a half hour. How long is the drive from Drvenik to Dubrovnik?
For that matter, does anyone have a good Croatia drive time / distace website? Earlier in my trip I am driving from Zagreb to Plitvice, and from Plitvice to Trogir.
About how much are the ferries? From looking at the Jad site, it looks like it will cost:
Local Lines:
Split - Stari Grad
4,32 eur pp
29,18 eur car

Drvenik - Sućuraj
1,35 eur pp
9,72 eur car

Does that look familiar?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:41 AM

In Jadrolinija's schedules, the coastal service from Rijeka to Dubrovnik via Split, Stari Grad and Korcula is listed separately from the local ferries. The coastal service runs twice weekly. Local ferries from Split to Stari Grad run three times a day all year, with some extra services in summer.
The last time I checked, some of the local routes were missing from the English-language page, but they are shown in Croatian. On some days, there is also a car ferry from Split to Hvar town (the ship is en route to Lastovo and cannot land cars at Hvar town).
There is also a fast catamaran which serves Hvar en route from Split to Korcula (www.krilo.hr).
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:46 AM

Use viamichelin for maps. I think Drevnik to Dubrovnik is a couple of hours as well.
Glad you got it all worked out. I always use the search by date function on the jadrolinija website, that way is the easiest to me.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Is there someplace in Split just to leave a car? I am thinking of taking the caterman to Hvar or Korcula and then coming back, picking up the car and continuing the main land tour.