Ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik

Apr 4th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik

As part of our trip in May/June we would like to spend a couple of nights on Hvar. In gathering info from the ferry web sites and our guide books we are finding conflicting info. The Jadrolinija schedule shows limited days of travel between Hvar and Dub. We have also read in more than one place that the ferry trip takes 7 hours! However, today I was hiking in The Gorge and I ran into a woman from Croatia so needless to say, I picked her brain a bit. She said the ferries run daily and that it only takes 3-4 hours. I am assuming that there must be a local ferry that is quicker and runs more frequently? What is the name of the local ferry and is there a web site that I can check out for times?
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:45 PM

I did quite a bit of research on this because I am going in June. I believe you can get local ferry service daily from Split to Hvar and back. The ferry that runs all the way up and down the coast, Jadrolinija only goes around 4 days a week. I was thinking of going to Hvar, but it became too much of a problem for me. Additional transportation doesn't seem to start until late June or July. If it works into your schedule, you should definitely go. Do a search on Croatia. There is lots of info, but unfortunately not much ferry info. Have a great trip.
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have also done a lot of search through this site. We definitely want to spend a couple of nights on Hvar so we have opted to ferry to Hvar and then back to Split before heading to Dubrovnik. As much as I love the idea of traveling through Croatia before the hoards of tourists arrive it is difficult to schedule overnights due to limited ferry service.
Apr 5th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Jadrolinija's coastal service is one of the most beautiful trips in Europe. There are up to four sailings a week from Stari Grad on the island of Hvar via Korcula to Dubrovnik, leaving in the morning and arriving in Dubrovnik in the afternoon (the journey time varies as some ships call at Sobra, Mljet). The ships have bars, restaurants and sun decks. There are several ferry services a day from Hvar or Stari Grad to Split, taking a couple of hours, but if you add in the bus journey from Split to Dubrovnik, you'd be better doing it in comfort by ship. Another option is to check ferries from Hvar to Vela Luka on Korcula island, then take a bus to Korcula town, then a bus to Dubrovnik (there are through buses that go on the ferry to the mainland).
Apr 5th, 2004, 06:45 AM

there are catamarans between Split and Hvar which take about an hour - I'm looking into taking the catamaran to either Lastovo or Vis.

the slow ferry takes about 2 1/2 hours