Search

Please help with accomodation for 6, Paris area

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with accomodation for 6, Paris area

Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum so please excuse me in advance If I make mistake in the way I post this.
Wondering if someone can help or give suggestions. Were arriving Paris fr 4/29/12 and leaving morning of 5/5/12. It will be me and my husband, my parents and my two kids 7 and 9. Because there's 6 of us, I've been looking into apartments/apt hotels. Since it's only 2 mos away, having a hard time finding something I like that is within my budget and requirements.
Budget is $1500-1800 a week
Preferably closer to the center ( 1,3,4,5 district), but also open to a nicer accomodation (would love to have something french like in a village) further out as long as I can convenienly access a metro/ train to easily go to Paris center.
Would also love if there are at least a few cafes/ restaurants nearby, grocery store and a safe neighborhood specially with my kids.
I already check several websites that are professionally managed such as VIP. Still no luck so now I'm considering Flip Key and home away. Can those be trusted?
I'd greatly appreciate anyones input and suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Finding a French Village within easy travel of major tourist sights is not going to happen. But with kids that age I might look at a residential area with at least one park nearby rather than the center of tourist sights. (French "gardens" are not playgrounds or parks in the US sense - they are very formal plantings with gravel paths and benches - you need to find a place with a real playground.)

And what size apartment are you looking for - with 6 people I assume you will need 2 bedrooms and a sleeper for the kids in the LR - and I assume 2 baths. Not sure if you will find this within your budget since you are looking at such short notice.

I suggest you search the paris apartment threads below, list all of the reliable sources, then get to work quickly. You might need to find 2 smaller apartments - a one bedroom for
you and the kids and a studio for your parents - to have more options to consider.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 05:38 PM

I think you will be hard pressed to find something in a village nearby that will not require too much travel time into the city. Availability is getting slim on apartment and I doubt you will find something in that price range that is as you suggest, a nicer accomodation. You might try a 3 star hotel and look for a rate that will include breakfast. You might be able to do 2 triple rooms if the grandparents don't mind.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have left things quite late to find an apartment available for your exact dates.

In a case like this, I'd just throw myself at the mercy of the various agencies. (Vacation in Paris, Paris Perfect, etc) and let them find a place for you. And you <i>might</i> need to raise your budget a bit. If you had booked months ago you have a choice, but now you'll really have to take what you can get.

You really can't base in a rural area/village to tour Paris
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess I can forget about staying outside paris for something nicer and cheaper as this wouldnt be convenient. I'll just have to look harder and may have to settle for just whatever is available out there that is closest to my budget.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 09:37 PM

Try http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p684026a or other properties on that site. My favorite place is taken for your dates but plenty of others are available.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Seamus! I'm actually surfing their website right now. And your suggestion is what I'm looking for, someone who can vouch for a certain property .... It's too bad the one you like is taken. I do see plenty of others that look lovely and within my budget. My plan is to choose one that fits my requirements and budget and also has lots of positive reviews. I'm hoping that I can count on those reviews to be legitimate? I know some businesses make up their own reviews.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

By the way Seamus, the website indicates that the place you like is still available, am I not looking at it the right way or maybe you had contacted the owner to confirm? Thanks!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM

Try looking at VRBO on Google. There are scores of apartments listed and you might find one that suits your needs. Your budget may be a problem however
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM

annamarie - the property in the link in my previous post is not the favorite I mentioned, which is in the 15th.
<i>My plan is to choose one that fits my requirements and budget and also has lots of positive reviews. I'm hoping that I can count on those reviews to be legitimate? I know some businesses make up their own reviews</i>
No one can 100% guarantee that some disreputable slob is not perpetrating fraud but that's the exception rather than the rule on sites like this (unlike, say, craigslist) and your plan is sound. From my experience and recommendations on craigslist here are some things to keep in mind:
• Be wary of prices that seem too good to be true, are way out of line with similar places, but keep in mind that some features (like location on a high floor without elevator) usually lower the market price.
• Never wire funds via Western Union , Moneygram or any other wire service
• Never give out financial information (bank account number, social security number, ebay/paypal info, etc.)
• Do not rent housing without seeing the interior. If there are no photos of something like a bathroom, ask for them before renting.
• What’s the surface area, adjectives like “spacious” are subjective and meaning of words like “cozy” varies in different languages.
• What floor is it on and is there an elevator?
• What is the street name (preferable the number as well)?
• What is the closest access to public transport (bus and metro)?
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

almcd- Thanks! I'll keep this in mind in case my choices from homeaway don't work out.

Seamus - Oh ok! Sorry I was getting dazed and confused reading online for hours I wasn't reading right anymore! Lol
Wow you sure are giving me lots of helpful tips here! Thank you so much for taking your time. I am so very excited in planning this trip, our first time in France/Europe!