Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help: Stansted or LHR from Cambridge for flights?

Feb 26th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I am in spending the summer in Cambridge. DH and I are planning trips to Edinburgh and Dublin. Flights from LHR are apparently cheap, but we have to get to London from Cambridge. It already know it is fairly easy by train, especially if I get a non-stop one.

However, when we were there last summer it seemed like we were close to Stansted Airport too, I recall hearing it on the train a lot. From the map I have it looks really close, but I am not sure.

I checked flights from Stansted (RyanAir) and they are about the same.

So, the question (finally!)--should we fly out of Stansted or London? Which is easier, cheaper and closer? I have pretty much ruled out the train (for Scotland at least) because last summer they were so expensive, and we also only have long weekends availble for travel.

Thank you!
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM

There simply isn't any contest. Stansted airport's 30 minutes from Cambridge by train and has low-cost flights.

The journey to Heathrow is at least three times longer and flights are generally costlier.
Feb 26th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Stansted is ground for low cost airlines in Europe, suggest you set your sights higher than just Ryanair.

www.whichbudget.com or even www.stanstedairport.co.uk will give you even more ideas
Feb 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM

You might also consider Luton. There isn't a rail connection but there is an airport coach from Cambridge.

I'd use either Stansted or Luton depending where I could get the best fare.
Feb 26th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Looks like Stansted is the obvious choice.

alanRow, I tried that Stansted airport link earlier. To book/search flights it directed me to Expedia, which in turn says no flights available...? Or, I can enter my destination and carriers show up, and I can search directly by carrier. With Dublin, RyanAir came up as my only choice. What am I doing wrong? Sorry, I am so confused as to why I can't find a lot of flight options on any source out of Stansted.

Thanks, if you can help. . .
Feb 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

alanRow--Ahh, sorry, I didn't see your other link. It is very helpful. However a quick search directed me to RyanAir from STN to DUB. I am guessing that is the only carrier to Dublin from this airport after all.
Feb 26th, 2006, 04:10 PM

great site for searching all those budget airlines at once....
www.skyscanner.net
Feb 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

londonlad, thanks for the site, another great link I would not have been able to find without Fodors.

One more question, does anyone have an opinion as to when I should book--is it too far out if we want to go in August? Or is it like the train and the farther out you book the better?

Thanks!
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:19 AM

Easyjet flies from Stansted and Luton to Edinburgh - see www.easyjet.co.uk. BA and bmi both fly from Heathrow to Edinburgh - www.ba.com & www.flybmi.com. The earlier you book, the cheaper it will be.
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:32 AM

"To book/search flights it directed me to Expedia, which in turn says no flights available"

Low cost airlines DON'T generally appear on sites like Expedia, you've got to book direct with the airline.

As for booking, if it's on their website and you want to go, you book it then & there as most of the time it will get a lot more expensive.
Feb 28th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the responses. I will book these txts ASAP. Right now it is coming up at 150 GBP for 2 adults to Dublin for the weekend. That seems reasonable..?
Feb 28th, 2006, 03:46 AM

Under £40 per person per flight, sounds cheap especially at short notice. Assuming it does include taxes.

If it didn't checking aer Lingus from Heathrow might save you money
Feb 28th, 2006, 04:03 AM

I woulodn't even consider Heathrow. Even 'if' Air Lingus had a slighter cheaper flight, you've got to add in the additional expense (not to mention time) of getting to Heathrow.

Your price seems fair considering you'll be flying In August - peak time.