Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any secrets for getting from Venice to Rome?

Feb 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Last year we went between cities in Italy by train. I agonized over booking ahead online and someone on this board (Ira?) said not to sweat it and just walk into the station and get a ticket. So we did and it worked just fine. BUT we have never taken the train from Venice to Rome. So, same idea, go to the train station, maybe the day before we leave, and pick up tickets? We will be traveling as we did last year, in June. Thanks!
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:27 PM

I bought tickets Venice-Rome the day before (late in May) and had no problem getting seats. The problem was we wasted a bit of time finding a place to buy the tickets.

Deciding to follow some advice in a Rick Steves' guidebook, we walked to American Express only to find that they had stopped selling Trenitalia (or any) train tickets the week before!

Did find a regular travel agency close by and bought the tickets, however, w/o trouble.

On a previous trip (same time of year, late May) walked into the station in Venice and bought tickets to Florence the day before we wanted to travel. Again, no problem.

Just slightly time consuming -- if that concerns you, consider on-line buying. I just like a little last minute flexibility.
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM

The one advantage to prebooking on the trenitalia.com site is that sometimes you can get reduced fares.

If you want to be sure of getting the fastest trains, maybe buy your tickets on arrival. I waited until just before departure on New Year's Eve from Venice to Florence, and surprise, surprise, had to take a slower train that took an extra hour or so. Not a big deal of course.
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Make sure there is no "holiday" when you plan to travel. Then hope there is no strike!
I'd book online ahead for the easiest way and unless you love cigarette smoke, be sure to book a non-smoking cabin with reserved seats. If you don't you will have the risk of several hours on your feet or hanging out in the bar car in the smoke.
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:15 PM

I'd like to add that a "holiday" might include a regularly scheduled train that doesn't run when scheduled.. or if it does it is stuffed with humanity!
Feb 27th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Delor, all trains in Italy are non-smoking now, which is great!
Feb 27th, 2006, 11:59 PM

I've done this route via train and it is quite enjoyable to sit back, relax and watch the countryside from your window. I have had no problem buying tickets the same day or day before at the train station. However, it does help to get your schedule and desired time in advance (refer to www.trenitalia.com) and then you can go up to the ticket window prepared with the exact train number, time, etc.

I love the fact that since 2003 the trains have been non-smoking. It's about time!
Feb 28th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Grazie!
Feb 28th, 2006, 05:52 AM

It's even easier if you use the self-service machines, which have an English option. I've always just bought tickets that way when turning up ready to travel. The machine shows you which type of train each service is, and how long it takes.