Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me decide between these two Rome apartments

May 28th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

I am hoping that those of you who are familiar with Rome and/or vacation rentals will be willing to put your 2 cents in. We will be staying in Rome for 5 nights, and after a lot of research I think I have narrowed our apartment options down to two. Both are reasonably priced and have washing machines (big criteria for us), and neither has A/C (but we will be in Rome in mid-September, so hopefully this will not be too much of a problem).

First one: http://www.realrome.com/propcappellarisplitlevel.html (located on Via dei Cappellari "about halfway down" according to Tim)

Second one: http://www.realrome.com/propscalacortile.html (located on Via della Scala, also about halfway down)

I'm drawn to the first apartment because it is marketed as being near Campo del Fiore, which many on this board have said is the ideal area for a first time visitor such as myself to stay. Also, it is a little cheaper, and "stays relatively cool," which would be good if it did get warm.

However, I am drawn to the second apartment because it seems a bit more spacious and has what appears to be an actual shower (as opposed to just a showerhead in a bathtub). When I tried to guesstimate the location on a map it seemed like this apartment, while in Travestere, was very near the river and thus the Campo/Navona areas -- is this right? My main concern is a) being able to walk most places and b) that the additional walking time to this apartment (as compared to the first one in Campo) is not TOO much given that I imagine we will be tired after a long day of sightseeing. Similarly, I worry about renting an apartment in Travestere and then ending up spending a bunch of money on cabs/other transport -- is this a valid concern?

I'd also be happy to hear any general thoughts you have about whether the apartments look okay in general. I feel both look pretty good, especially given the price and location, and I've heard great things about Tim at Real Rome. However, I've never done a vacation rental before, so I am a bit overwhelmed and keep second-guessing myself!
May 29th, 2007, 02:21 AM

dawn you don't say how many people there will be, I am presuming by the size of the apartments just two? We stayed in Rome nearly two years ago near the Pantheon. I much preferred this area over the Travestere. It could add that 'extra' walk at the end of the day and for pure convenience I would choose the Campo del Fiore area. I know how difficult it is to make that final decision and you agonise for ever! I didn't like the Travestere, a lot of graffiti and well... it just wasn't us. I know many who just love it though. Both have washing machines (big bonus), don't worry about air conditioning. We were there at the same time and it wasn't an issue even though it was hot. See what others say, but I'd go Campo!
Schnauzer
May 29th, 2007, 04:16 AM

I think you have done a good analysis of the pros and cons of the two apartments except for one variable: noise. The Trastevere apartment is described as "very quiet" and the one on Via Capellari is on a street that is described as having relatively little vehicle traffic but as "lively sometimes in the summer to weekends" (sic). The Campo de fiori area is definitely very lively in the evenings, with lots of teenagers/young adults. You will be on the first floor up with this apartment so may find it quite noisy.
We rented an apartment from Real rome in the ghetto area near Piazza mattei, pedestrian only, very narrow street, and up several flights, and on a Saturday night in early March we could hear people on the street until about 2 a.m.

As for location, the Campo de fiori area is definitely more central, very convenient to Via giulia, Piazza Navona and Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon). It is also much closer than Trastevere to the spanish steps, Piazza del Popolo. It is a little closer to the forum.

There is another thread called Public Transportation from Trastevere which would give you more of an idea of public transit options from that area. There are a number of passes that will help you save money if you are going to be taking more than 4 trips in a day. Some are combined with discounted museum entrance deals.

May 29th, 2007, 05:04 AM

In January my husband and I stayed in this apt for a week and loved it. I am a very light sleeoer and it was extremely quiet. It's about a 5 min walk to Campo dei Fiori and it has several ped only streets around it. LOTS of space and a big standing shower. Full kitchen as well.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/ap...dipiet%E0.html
May 29th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Vttraveler, noise is definitely an important factor that I totally failed to consider! We'll have to decide how much we trust our earplugs and travel-sized white noise maker!
May 29th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I didn't mention the first time that I can confirm Tim Pearson at Real Rome is great to deal with and quite straight forward about the pros and cons of the various apartments. You could ask him how noisy the Via dei Cappelleri apartment is.

The apartment that sandi travelnut recommends looks like a safe bet for noise and a great location. However, it is a lot more expensive than the Real Rome options. We were quite happy for a week in a relatively simple apartment in a (mostly very quiet) neighborhood we loved.
Jun 1st, 2007, 01:20 PM

Dear Sandi Travelnut:

What can you tell me about the rental agency you used for booking the apartment in Rome? Apparently, you were happy with them? Were you satisifed with the location of the apartment...what were your likes and/or dislikes, if any?

Please advise. Thanks
Jun 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM

You can see by the link I provided that the agency is Sleep in Italy. They were excellent to deal with. During the stay, the seal under the toilet gave way and the bathroom flooded. The caretaker at the apt. building got workers immediately as well as called SIL and the apt owner and it was fixed within 1.5 hrs. I was impressed. The location was perfect, lots of pedestrian only areas, shopping, cafes and several well stocked markets for all the things you'd need to stock the fridge. We couldn't get the oven to work, but other than that it was wonderful. Quiet and a comfy bed. The images on the link are exactly what you get.
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM

Dawn, I have stayed in one of the Real Rome Cappellari studios. I believe they are either in the same building or very near on the street to the apartment you're considering. We didn't have any noise that we couldn't sleep through, although there is garbage pickup fairly early in the morning. I'm normally a light sleeper, but on vacation that problem seems to disappear. This was in May. On one or two occasions, late-night revelers awoke us and they walked on by and we fell right back to sleep.

I have also stayed in Trastevere, although not right near that apartment. I like staying over there. I'm an enthusiastic walker and live in a city in which I walk (rather than drive) all the time, so to me it doesn't seem like a big deal--Campo dei Fiori and the center of Trastevere are, in my mind, a very short distance from each other. However, if you are not used to walking, it might bother you.

I've also stayed near the Pantheon, and although the hotel was very nice, I didn't prefer that area to either the Campo area or Trastevere. They're all good.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Leely,

Thank you!! We decided on the Cappellari studio, and it was very reassuring to hear that you didn't have any problems.

We're both from Boston, so we are used to walking too -- maybe we'll try Travestere next time!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:46 AM

Dear Sandi Travelnut:

The apartment you stayed in sounds nice to me...has everything that one would need. I would have them check to make sure the oven was functional, though, in case we wanted to use it. The apartment is one stair flight up by US standards?

Did you find Sleep Italy's cancellation policy to be fair? Their website mentions something about a commission...what is the percentage of their commission? Looks like they accept AMEX also...I'm not big on Pay Pal...but, AMEX is a good thing. How far in advance did you make your reservation?

Please advise. Thanks
Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM

Their policy is typical and fair. The credit cards acceptance is only for the 20% deposit at the time you want to book the apt. When you arrive, you will need to pay cash (euro) for the balance of the apartment when you arrive. It up one fight of wide, marble stairs, turn a corner and up a couple more steps.

I know nothing about a commission. All you have to do is send an inquiry about the apartment, and they are usually quick to respond to your questions.
Jun 4th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Thanks Sandi:

Is everything included in the rental cost..such as linens, electric, etc.? Was there anyone in particular that you enjoyed working with in making your reservation? Did they speak English? I've noticed that a lot of rentals indicate a washer, but not a dryer. Sounds like this apartment had a dryer???

Let me throw this out there...if you were to go another route and stay in a hotel in the historic, central Rome area...which one would you choose? Price is always a factor...but, if you can give me a few options...I'm sure they are all on the high side...but, go for it...whatever.

Thanks
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Everything was included. The apt did have a washer and dryer but make sure you get the full instructions from the SIL agent on how to operate it. It's crazy and extremely unintuitive. Oh, they units are tiny and it will literally take all day to dry a pair of jeans. The SIL agent I dealt with spoke perfect english (I believe he was from India originally) but I don't think he is with them any longer.

As far as hotels, I would have to say Albergo del Senato. I personally have not stayed there (close to it though) but no many who have and they love it.

http://www.albergodelsenato.it/
Jun 4th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Plus there's a cool live web-cam on top of the hotel looking down at the Pantheon and piazza below...the link is on the website
Jun 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for all your help Sandi... Actually, Albergo del Senato sounds really nice...I'm going to check it out.

Jun 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM

welig,

Coincidentally, I've not only stayed at the Real Rome apartments on via dei Cappellari that the OP was asking about, I've also stayed at Albergo del Senato. Great hotel, although the prices have gone up quite a bit. Still, a good choice for a first visit to Rome. If you're going to spend to stay there, definitely try for a room with Pantheon view.
Jun 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM

I love the Trastevere with all its trees, and real neighborhood environ and this apartment looks very nice. I guess it depends on what YOU like and size for the amt of people you have.
Jun 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Hello to All:
In speaking to my travel agent the other day, I asked her to check out the Albergo Del Senato for a room next Spring...she said they were already booked? Is this possible...I guess anything is possible?? What is the best way to secure a room with them?
Advise... Any other recommendations in that area?