Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help for a first trip to Turkey!!!

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ m planning a trip to Turkey this year, in September, in a not so tourists crowded area of the country. Can you help me with some beautiful and authentic destinations in Turkey? I would like to lie on the beach but visiting also. I’m planning to go by car and to lodge, if possible, in traditional houses or villas, not luxury or expensive. So, anyone who can help me with some information please join-in! Thanks a lot!
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:37 AM

The following web site has a link to the Small Hotels of Turkey..small and, in many cases, charming, properties that are located in many off-the-beaten track locations. I would begin by reading through their pages; you can order the book on-line if you want a paper copy. We stayed in several hotels mentioned here last fall and were very pleased. http://nisanyan.net/
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM

We loved our stay at Gamirasu Cave Hotel (www.gamirasu.com ) in Cappadocia, central Turkey.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:02 AM

Cappadocia & Olympos & Kalkan & Gocek and a Gulet is what you are looking for !
Happy travelling,
Murat
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

We absolutely loved Cappadocia area and probably one of the most unique places we have been (we have travelled to about 25 countries). The Zelve open air museum is amazing - hardly any tourists. I would definitely do Kas over Kalkan. It has a lot more atmosphere and wasnt overly touristy. If you want beach, pebbly but gorgeous, I would go to Oludeniz - this is touristy - but the water is magnificent.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your information and help!! I've been searching on the net for this trip, and I think also that Capadoccia may be what I'm searching for... can you also help me with some accommodation tips?! Budged or B&B, not so expensive... All I need in a hotel is to be clean first of all, not luxury or anything else! Thanks again!
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:16 AM

My wife and I are also planning a trip to Turkey in September. I've found turkeytravelplanner.com to be a very helpful site. Includes good info on all types of accommodation.
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM

turkeytravelplanner is like a bible for travelling in Turkey.
In Cappadocia www.goremehouse.com
happens to be under my management take a look at the web site. We have changed the textile etc. but did not update the pics yet. I mention here becouse fits your description.
Happy travelling
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:06 PM

I just got back from Turkey on June 4. I visited Istanbul, Cappadocia, Efesus/Sirince, and Fethiye.

For transportation, I flew Istanbul to Kayseri, rented a car, then flew Kayseri to Izmir, rented a car, drove to Efeses, Sirince, and Aphrodisias, then down to Fethiye and got on a gulet, then flew from Dalaman airport back to Istanbul.

If I were to do it again, I would have spent more time in Cappadocia and maybe skipped the mediterranean. In Cappadocia, the people are genuine and the scenery and hiking are tremendous.

For accommodation I stayed at several places: In Cappadocia, Kelembek Hotel (Goreme), Yunak Evi (Urgup), and Giramasu (Ayvali). I really liked Kelembek and Giramasu.

Kelembek had a great breakfast and really friendly young staff. I did the boutique part of the hotel, but the less expensive pension looks just as good. You should reserve in advance as this place can get booked. Also, balloon rides (really fun) are out of Goreme, so it's convenient.

Giramasu was the most beautiful and had the most professional staff. If I had only one place to stay in Cappadocia, that would be it. You can explore the caves right on the grounds of the hotel and the rooms were amazing. Tons of plugs, great bathrooms, etc. It feels very luxurious, but not snooty or over the top to my way of thinking. The prices are high for Turkey, but worth it. Make sure you have a room with a view, as these are awesome.

Someone mentioned the Nisanyan guide to small hotels. I also stayed in one of the private houses at the Nisanyan Hotel in Sirince. The hotel is lovely, but the town was somewhat disappointing. It's on the tour bus circuit, so if you get there midday, you may find it distressing. It's stall after stall of touristy tchotchkes and the pedestrian streets are packed to the gills.

The best times to come down from one's perch at the Nisanyan Hotel or visit the town in general are before 11am or after 5pm when the tourists leave. We had one of our best meals, a lovely quiet meal in town during the evening.

If you are trying to avoid tourists, you should know that the mediterranean is HIGHLY touristy. Fethiye was hot and packed to the gills when I was there in June. It was like being in Disneyworld. Kinda tacky, in my opinion.

If you want to see the pretty side of the mediterranean, I would highly recommend a 3-4 day gulet trip. It's a good way to avoid the crowds, but note that your fellow passengers are likely to be fellow tourists.

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt