PLEASE HELP!!!

May 9th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

PLEASE HELP!!!

It's Tamara and I'm overwhelemed by all this info! I wrote yesterday and you were all so helpful and generous about my trip w/my husband for his 40th birthday. To remind you, we're going to Venice for 2 nights, Florence 2 nights and Rome 2 nights.

Here's the question: Regarding Rome, where we'll actually be 1 1/2 days. (we're arriving at 12:30 p.m. on a Tuesday and leaving first thing Thursday morning). I simply can't figure out what to do and when. Could you please suggest an itinerary that works, given the short time, and taking into account the obvious must-sees including the Vatican and the Colloseum, the Spanish steps, Trivi Fountain and any other absolute MUSTS that you can suggest given the time limit???

Thank you - I just don't know where to begin in terms of what should go first, etc.

thanks a million.

Tamara
May 9th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Make a list of 6 or so things you want to see.
Find them on a city map.
Make a route based on geographic sense.
Check open days/hours to ensure all your sights are open on the days you chose.
Go enjoy.
May 9th, 2006, 04:23 AM

here's my advice..of those things you have mentioned I would put the "Steps" at the very bottom...you'll have a lot more to see and take in at the Vatican and the other places mentioned.

Don't get me wrong..the Steps are interesting but they don't "do" much besides sit there and attract all kinds of fun folks..they don't even move like the Trevi!!!
May 9th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Agree with intrepid about the Sp. Steps. Low priority.
Given the time you have, I'd try to be sure to see the Vat., Coll., Trev. Ftn., and leave time for an evening dinner and stroll at the Piazza Navona.

Also good advice to get a map and see what's where, for planning purposes. You're going to be kind of wiped out on arrival day (assuming you're flying), so you're looking at maybe a full day of sightseeing. To try to do more seems like a tall order.
May 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM

What I have learned in my travels is to look at the sights I want to see and determine which have admisson charges - which mean lines and I also try to determine the popularity of the sight. Do the most popular FIRST THING in the morning. I was able to walk into the Tower in London and see the Jewels right away. An hour later - long lines to get into the Tower and longer line to see the Jewels. Eiffel Tower alread had a line, but I only waited 15 minutes. Save outdoor stuff and lesser known places for later in the day.
May 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM

I agree with the PP's. The top of the Spanish Steps are under scaffolding anyway and weren't that impressive a few weeks ago.
May 9th, 2006, 06:21 AM
rex

Tamara:

"PLEASE HELP!!!" is absolutely the wrong way to post a message.

Others will say that this is the pot calling the kettle black, but posting a message header like this is very inconsiderate and rude.

Please re-post with a message header that indicates the specific nature of your questions about Rome.

Bet wishes,

Rex
May 9th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Never been to Rome, but I agree with the strategy of picking your top 5 places, trying to determine how long each will take, then marking them on a map. Checking if any need reservations or pre-paid admissions. You basically will have only 1 full day in each city for sight-seeing, so your "to-do" list can't really be very long, I'm afraid.
May 9th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Funny, we loved the steps in the evening for the pure people watching opportunities.
May 9th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Pausanias

I would suggest you use your first afternoon to see the Forum, Palatine Hill and Colosseum. If you are particularly interested in Roman history, the museums on the Capitol are excellent. Have dinner in the vicinity of the Spanish Steps. People watch, do some shopping, sit at a cafe and have drink.

Day two you spend at the Vatican. Museums first, St Peter's in the afternoon. Recommend a tour for St Peter's. It's simply overwhelming.

Have dinner near the Pantheon (step inside) and Pizza Navonna. Walk over to Trevi. People watch, have a drink.

I hope you enjoy your trip and return with more time to spend.

May 9th, 2006, 07:21 AM

With the short time you have in Rome, I would see the Colosseum and the Forum first thing on Wed morning, then head over to the Vatican after that. If you want to tour the Vatican museum, you might want to consider a private guided tour, which takes about 2-3 hours and ends in St. Peter's. Our tour was only 55 euro per person.

I would do a self-guided walking tour of the Sp. Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and Piazza Navona on Tuesday afternoon and night (the only reason I'm including the Sp. Steps is that's where the best shopping is, if that interests you). What you don't get to squeeze in on Tues, you can do on Wed night. The Trevi is best at night, anyway, in my opinion.

May 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Pausanias and CheBird give two good possibilities. I would agree to not worry too much if you miss the Spanish Steps, just not that impressive.