Pls critque my 6 day London Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, my husband and I are going to be in London for part of our honeymoon, starting Easter weekend. I have adjusted my itinerary based on previous feedback here...can you take a quick peak? I've left it kind of light as we are staying with friends and want to be able to do some things with them, and also to be spontaneous. We are also not huge museum fans, but do enjoy history....<BR><BR>Day 1 (Saturday, April 19): <BR>Meet up with friends<BR>Go out on town with friends<BR><BR>Day 2 (Sunday, April 20)<BR>Hop on Hop off tour<BR>Tower of London<BR>Tower Bridge<BR>Boat ride on Thames<BR>London Eye<BR>Ghost Walk in the evening<BR><BR>Day 3 (Monday, April 21)<BR>British Museum<BR>Any more suggestions?<BR><BR>Day 4 (Tuesday, April 22): <BR>Bath and Stonehenge Tour<BR><BR>Day 5 (Wednesday, April 23): <BR>Westminster Abbey<BR>Buckingham Palace<BR>Trafalgar Square<BR>House of Parliament<BR>National Portrait Gallery<BR>West End show<BR><BR>Day 6 (Thursday, April 24): <BR>Young’s Ram Brewery (http://www.youngs.co.uk)<BR><BR>Day 7 (Friday): Leave London for Paris<BR><BR>Thank you so much!!<BR>Jamie<BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:34 AM

It looks like you may be trying to pack too much into days 2 and 5. Consider spreading some of these places into days 3 and 6. <BR><BR>If you don't you'll be in danger of sleeping through your west end show.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kert! Funny thing is last time people said I had too little on those days, so I added 1-2 things..now its too packed....its a very fine line
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Hi Buckingham Palace is just a walk by?<BR>(as opposed to killing time waiting for the Changing of the Guard?) Ditto Trafalgar Square? How about Parliament?<BR>Are you going to wait in line for a tour, or just walking by.<BR>If just strolling past, your day 5 doesn't seem bad to me at all. If waiting in lines, more time will be taken.<BR><BR>I'd take boat ride on the Thames out of day 2 and add it to day 3. You can take a boat to Greenwich for sure or Kew Gardens (I think) and either makes a change from usual sightseeing.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:53 AM

no, you aren't &quot;packing too much&quot; into those two days.<BR><BR>on Day 2 go to the Tower first (be there before opening time because the Tower gets very crowded on Sundays). After doing the Tower Bridge experience catch the boat from Tower Pier up to Westminster. Then go on the Eye. By then it is late afternoon and you can hop on one of the buses - remember the tix are good for 24 hours so on Minday just hop on again and finish. The buses go right past the Br Museum so you can hop off and visit the museum and then get on another bus until your 24 hours is done.<BR><BR>And Day 5 is mostly walk past and &quot;see&quot;. The only &quot;go inside&quot; things listed are Westminster Abbey and the Nat'l Portrait Gallery. So you will have plenty of time for that day's sites.<BR><BR>You have done a great job paring things down and organizing them from your first plan. Mu ONLY caveat is on day one - you may be too tired to go out on the town. Maybe a nice early-ish dinner out and short walk about. Go out clubbing or whatever on another night - Monday is a possibility.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:55 AM

I think it sounds fine, not too packed. Day 2 - Tower of London takes 2 or 3 hours, but Tower Bridge can be done in about 45 minutes. London Eye is 1/2 hour. You should be fine with the boat ride too.<BR><BR>Day 5 is fine because 3 of those places you are only walking by and taking some pictures and looking around - so that's OK too. <BR><BR>For day 3, depending on what you like, you might try the Cabinet War Rooms, the Victoria and Albert Museum, a walk in Kensington Gardens, shopping in Covent Garden, or The Globe Theatre...<BR><BR>Have fun, and congratulations! Karen
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:56 AM

To clarify something from elaine's post. Parliament is DEFINITELY a &quot;walk past&quot; because overseas visitors are no longer allowed to tour except in August and the latter part of Sept.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:13 AM

wow janis, sorry to hear that.<BR>Thanks for the update.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:18 AM

ps<BR>not even with one of the special limited tickets provided by one's embassy?<BR>Never mind, I'll check the parliament website.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Well the Embassy could possibly get you in - but the only &quot;official&quot; way to tour Parliament now (outside of the August recess) is to get a pass from one's local MP. Since few overseas visitors have MPs that sort of eliminates most of us. The website spells it out in more detail.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 09:47 AM

<BR><BR>I second someone else's suggestion as an addition to your itinerary: the Cabinent War Rooms. If you or any in your party like WWII history, check it out.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM

I did the Youngs Brewery tour last Tuesday.It costs &pound;5.50 and you get a free pint at the end of the tour.About half of the tour is going through the Brewery.The other half is going to the stables to look at the horses that pull the Drays through the streets to deliver the beer to the local Youngs pubs.Make sure you email them in advance about the day you want the tour,and the time you prefer 12:00,or 14:00.I contacted them two weeks in advance and still did'nt get my first choice in time.<BR>Cheers...
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you all so much! I cant wait!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Jamikins, there is a National Gallery and a National Portrait Gallery. They are adjacent but different. You might add the crypt in St Martin-in-the-Fields for lunch on that day.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will make note of that!