Please critique my Greece itinerary.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four will be in Prague and Greece this summer. After many changes and a little bit of research our itinirary looks like this:
5 nights in Prague- Marriott.
8 nights Santorini.Astra?
7 nights Windstar Cruise. Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, Bodrum, Kusadasi, Istanbul
2 nights Istanbul. Renaissance.
2 nights Athens.Marriott.
To get a real feel of the Islands we want to stay in one of them and we decided on Santorini because this is the only place I have always dreamed of visiting.
We don't want to divide our time between two different islands so that we can relax.
Is there enough things to do in Santorini for 8 days? I am sure we will take day trips to other easy accesible Islands also.
Thank you for any input.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM

There's not a lot of choices for things to do on Santorini, but I think you will enjoy yourself for 8 days unless you absolutely need stimulation all the time. It's an island for dining, swimming, watching the sun set over the sea and for total relaxation. It does get crowded in the summertime, however.

There are a couple of small museums and two archaeological sites. The main village of Fira and the most beautiful village of Oia have some excellent shopping opportunities.

Clubs like La Mamounia and Santorini Mou provide live traditional Greek music to their patrons.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Syl

If I were you I'd spend max time exploring Crete.It was the highlite of our trip. Magnificent!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM

too much Santorini..not enough Istanbul..agree that with comment about Crete though I would choose carefully where I would set up a base (choices made on interests).
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM

A bit too much Santorini, I'd offer. It's lovely and I think a definite must-see but, and I'm sure some will disagree, is that if you're going for ``a real feel of the islands'' is your goal, it's not great for that. It's a bit too tourism-driven for that purpose.

It is a great place for relaxing but the canvas, incredible as it is, doesn't change and neither does the summer tourism buzz. If that's what you're looking for that's great. But for ``real feel'' there are much better choices.

If you want both to visit your dream and get a real feel, then you'll have to divide your time: I'd say 5-3 in order of whatever you value most.