One perfect place in Greece

Apr 4th, 2001, 09:03 AM
sharon

One perfect place in Greece

I have 3 nights to spend in the Greek Islands in late May before heading to Athens for my flight back to the states. Tell me if you know of an island/accommodation that will fulfill the following:
- Provide a nice, relaxing patio with a view of the sea
- Allow me to see some beautiful natural scenery
- Need some good traditional taverna food
- Want to stroll thru quaint village or two
- A beautiful sandy beach for a day of swimming
I'd like to stay in a "traditional" or "real" Greek accommodation. Not a big hotel, if at all possible. Please help - I am having major difficulty deciding! I'll be coming from the island of Samos.
Thanks in advance!

Apr 4th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Robin

I admit that this is a cliche, but Santorini meets all of your requirements, with the possible exception of "quaint village"-- Oia is probably too touristy to qualify, although it's lovely just the same. Lots of patios, views, etc. We had a wonderful relaxing three days there in September (May should also be a little off-season). Try a search on Oia specifically for more detail.

Apr 4th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Sharon:
I suggest Santorini. I know that Robin made the same suggestion but for what you want Santorini is it! We spent 6 weeks in Greece and went to many fabulous places. I never thought that I would be able to answer that question about one perfect place in Greece. Have fun!

Apr 4th, 2001, 12:38 PM
sharon

Thanks to both of you - but I am wondering: I've only seen pictures of the main villages - Fira, Oia... I can't get a grasp of what the rest of the island looks like! Are there trails for walking, or areas for exploration? I don't want to be stuck in a tourist trap! (Many people say Santorini is too touristy. But I will admit, I've always wanted to visit there.) Also - have either of you been to Patmos? Any thoughts on that? Or Naxos or Paros?
Thanks...Let me hear from more of you - please!

Apr 4th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Have been to Patmos. For what you described that you wanted Santorini fits. Here is more information about Santoriniand why I do not think that it is touristy:
We stayed at a lovely B&B called The Theorenia. Our room had a great balcony with fantastic views.Perissa Beach is charming. It is a black san d beach with a great bar called Yazz. The setting is quite nice.We did take a tour of Akoritiri, you need a guide to get the historical value. We also went to the wineries. My husband and I collect so for us this was a highlight. We went to Santo Wines their are others but start with that one. The dining in Santorini is exquisite. We had memorable and delicious meals at The Sphinx. We went on a huge hike to the Monastery of Prophet Elias. Girl, you better be in shape. Well,I wasn't but...Katrina's is also excellent for dinner. Franco's Bar is nirvana. You sit in hammocks enjoying your coctails and the view. Franco's is a classical music bar. Ok, the touristy part is riding the mule up from teh harbour. We almost skipped this but some of our best pictures are of us on those mules. The cable car falls within the touristy "tag" but, we did that too. The treat of traets is Nicholas. This restaurant is as old as Greece. They have no menues just an old er gentleman who tells you what the menu is. The food is beyond belief. The ceramics are beautiful. Their is an outdoor cinema and Kamari Beach is fun. My husband was not thrilled about the nudity but, I joined right in...a little bit. Oia is indescrible. It is a sight to see. We spent the late afternoon and evening in Oia. Stay over if you can swing it. Our bus ride back was a little hairy going aroun the clifts and such. I hope this helps you. Well, the cable guy has gone so I can now leave the house and buy some clothes for my travels. Feel free to ask more questions.

Apr 5th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Tracy

Hi Sharon,

Check out Estiatorio Riva in Pythagorio, Samos. It's a taverna and bar (seating outside on their terrace) facing the sea - the best meals we enjoyed in the Dodecanese. Locals were coming up to the kitchen window to get their dinners to go!

Good luck finding your perfect place!

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Thyra

We enjoyed Santorini the most of all the islands we visited in Greece 7 in all. The caldera, despite being "touristy" etc was awe inspiring to say the least. Also were also a great deal of different things to see there, we took a day tour and got to go wine tasting, visit one of the most interesting archeological sights I have seen at the excavations at Ankotiri, lots of great restaurants, boat tours, we wished we'd had more then 2 days there!
If you are looking for the "traditional Greek" type place then I don't know how happy you will be with Santorini. Go to www.greektravel.com for an alphabetical listing of all the Greek islands. Matt Barrett does a spendid job of breaking them all down and specifically mentioneds when one is traditional or toursity.

Apr 5th, 2001, 11:30 AM
sharon

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to respond! I will take it all in. The one problem - the one thing missing - from Santorini is a golden sand beach with clear azure waters! I feel the need for this! Tell me if I'm crazy! Is the water pretty off Santorini? (I feel like I'm on "Millionaire" - My gut says Patmos, but the audience overwhelmingly says Santorini!!!) (I don't like or watch that show, but that's off the subject at hand!)
Thanks again!

Apr 5th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Thyra

Just IMO, if your gut is telling you something listen to it!!! We really enjoyed the black sand beaches of Santorini, the water was delightful, they also have boats that will take you out to the volcanic islands in the center of the Caldera and you can swim there, but I don't know about golden sand.

Apr 5th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Robin

I haven't been to Patmos or Naxos, but have heard great things. I loved Paros, and would highly recommend it, it but not for views and beach. It has more to offer in the areas of village life, culture, history, etc.

I initially thought of Santorini because of your criteria, and apparently others did too. If you want the Greek island of your dreams (and of calendars, coffee table books, etc!), Santorini is it. However any of the other islands would be a wonderful experience as well.

Apr 5th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Steve Curry

Oia was the highlight of our trip. My wife is a sun/beach-worshiper too and the views/vibes totally made up for the lack of sand/swimming.

We also did Naxos, Paros and Mykanos (sp?) -- which were also fun.

We went in Mid-May and it was not crowded yet. The weather was so-so.

Apr 5th, 2001, 06:06 PM
sharon

Thank you again Fodorites! This has been great. To be honest - when I decided to take this trip, Santorini was the first island that came to mind. It's the one you always see on travel magazine covers...and the architecture is enchanting. I am going to play it by ear. I'll have to see how difficult it is to get there from Samos, where my Turkey tour ends. I do have one other question though: Is there a place to stay on Santorini that is more like someone's home? I am looking for something more quaint than a hotel - but not too expensive. Everyone raves about the Loucas. Any other ideas? Thanks again, and happy, healthy travels to you all. Oh - that reminds me - will I need insect repellent in May???!

Apr 5th, 2001, 06:50 PM
ttt

...and the sunsets on Santorini are pretty hard to beat.

Apr 5th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Ben

Hi,

Santoini is the place. In May it will not be that busy. We were there the last two years in the End of June and it was not crowed. The food was great. We stayed in Oia. The Esperas has great big terrace off the rooms and the Kakities(sp) has a knock'em dead pool. Both have the veiw of a life time. There are black sand beaches with cool clean water. The food was great. You can walk between Oia and Fira. I think it is about a 2 hour walk. It will be fabulous. Go to www.dilos.com for hotel reservations.

Apr 5th, 2001, 07:21 PM
belle

Santorini is wonderful...Skyros is great too, not cycladic island but traditional little white houses etc...a bit more "real" However, Santorini is the picture postcard image of Greece you might be expecting. By the way, how is Samos? I was there decades ago and didn't like it but many people really love it...any comments?

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Surlok

Forget Patmos, not that beautiful, but do consider Skiathos!

Apr 6th, 2001, 09:04 AM
sharon

Belle - I've never been to Greece! I understand the forests of Samos were badly burned last year, and they've had another fire this year. I want to do some hiking, so if the beauty of the interior is gone, I won't appreciate that too much!

For everyone else: As for Patmos, the reason I was considering it was because it is so close to Samos. I only have three days, so transport to Santorini could be iffy. I will check into flights, but not until I get there because I don't want to lock myself in! Samos could be everything I need, so why go elsewhere if that's the case?!! Anyway, more input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all of your insights! And...what about the bug juice? Will I need it?!

Apr 6th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Sharon...
You are starting to get me worried. Did you REALLY want all of these EXCELLENT perspectives to finally say that you might just stay in Samos???
It's your vacation but, I will hesitate to take other queries like yours seriously in the future. Samos was badly burned last year...are you cinging us a little now? What bug juice??? I was in Greece for 6 weeks and the only juice I knew about was Ouzo.
Have a great trip Sharon, maybe I am taking you way too seriously or reading you incorrectly, but if you look at the thread from start to this point something does not add up.

Apr 6th, 2001, 02:39 PM
sharon

Holy Cow! Sorry to worry you! Of course I have been quite serious about all of my questions! But I am also open to whatever happens along the way during my travels! I just need to get as much perspective as I can from those who have experienced Greece before.

Bug juice refers to the bug repellent I asked about earlier! Will I need it in May?

Apr 6th, 2001, 02:50 PM
sharon

By the way, if that last posting offended anyone else besides Oaktown, please rest assured that I VERY MUCH appreciate all of your input on this trip. I have always wanted to see the Greek islands, and since I have only 3 days I want to make the very most of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO