charging a laptop computer & video camera batteries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter will be a student in Paris for 5 mos & will be using her laptop & video camera. I know that if you don't get the correct adapter, the batteries you are trying to charge can blow up. What is the correct way to charge these items in France?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 02:15 AM

most electronic devices are now dual voltage and merely require the correct plug type adapter and not a voltage transformer. in paris most recepticles take the two pronged round adapter.

mind you this is true for ELECTRONICS, not electrical appliances. try plugging in your hair dryer without a transformer and it'll run like hell for about 15 seconds whereupon you can safely consign it to the trash.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM
ira

Hi M,

Look at the chargers for the two devices. They should say Input: 110-240 V. If so, you need an adaptor to go from the two flat prongs on the US plug to two round prongs.

If they say only 110V, you will need a voltage converter to reduce the European 220V to 110V.

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

How simple! Thanks Subcon & Ira. Both the camera & the computer say 110 - 240 V so I guess she's all set. We already bought the plug adapter. For the hairdryer I thought it would be just as easy & about the same expense to buy it there & not worry about the converter/adapter issue. Would you agree? Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Find a MONOPRIX store (kinda of like a Target here in the states) and you will find everything from hairdryers to electric blankets. My favorite Monoprix is down the street from Concord Lafayette Hotel near the Champs Elysee.I found a great electric dryer/curling brush there with different tips for about 25 USD.