110 Power?

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
110 Power?

We are going to take a laptop computer with us on our trip to Vatulele in October (to download/store pictures from our digital camera - not for work!!). Should we take an adapter with us? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:48 PM

Hi Basset:

Most laptops 'autosense' the power & switch, so you'll only adaptor for the wall outlet.

However, if your laptop only supports 110v then don't user a 110-220v power converter as only the most expensive (hundreds of $$) are 'clean' enough for the sensative electronics of a laptop. The small $20-40 ones are 'good enough' for general appliances (radios, razors) but not PCs.

Z
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:11 PM
MD

I took a laptop camera and CDWriter a few years ago, and a camera and Archos MMJukebox last trip - to Italy, to England, to France...

Look on the fine print on your power brick. If it says 100V-250V (or about those numbers) and 50Hz-60Hz, then it will handle the 220V in rest of the world. You just need the adapter, that converts the prongs to the right shape.

I think anything bought in the last 5 years will handle 240V, especially if it has an external power brick.

I also took a N.American octopus so I could use one adaptor for multiple N.A. devices at once.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:28 PM

MD, what is an octopus?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:39 PM
MD

Sorry... An octopus is that thing the fire department always warns you not to use.

It's a 3 or 4-way block plug (usually cube-shaped) so you can plug several items into one plug - it has a socket on each face and prongs on one face. When you fill it full of extension cords, it looks like an octopus (hence the name) and can overload a socket and start fires if you plug too many high-powered things in at once.

I used a 3-way octo with 1 adapter (N.American to European) and could plug my camera charger, laptop, and CD Drive into one plug. The thing about Europe is that there seem to be a lot less plugs in the rooms than N.America.