Please Critique 15 day italy trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I have please let me know what you think and if you have a recommendation for a place to stay in Venice for 150 Euros or less. Thanks

9/12 Arrival at 10:00 am in Rome - Staying at Arco Del Lauro http://www.arcodellauro.it/eng/index.htm

Do all the "Rome Stuff"

9/15 - Afternoon or evening leave and head to pick up car outside of Rome and drive to Montepulciano and begin 1 week staying at Appartamenti al Poggiolo http://www.appartamentialpoggiolo.it/

For the next week do many day trips to areas of Tuscany and Umbria making sure to hit Cortona and Assisi

9/22 - Morning leave Montepulciano and drive to Florence to drop off car and then stay there until the morning of 9/24 at the San Lorenzo Apartments (Casini apt) www.sleepinflorence.com

9/24 - Get the train to Venice in the morning and arrive there early afternoon. Haven't found a place to stay yet

9/26 - Afternoon fly back to the US
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:31 AM

critique - seems perfect to me; very nice - near Monetpulciano don't miss at least a quick visit to Chianchiani Terme (sp?) - one of Italy's most venerable thermal spas and health resorts - kind of a show and many geriatrics flock here but something different - a parklike setting in an arid area and many restaurants and shops.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you PalenQ. Do you happen to have any recommendations for places to stay in Venice?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:49 AM

No i don't know diddily about hotels in general but many Fodorites do so keep posting that Q, maybe with a separate posting with that in title.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Overall I like it.
I would train to Chiusi to get the car. Easy to do and :30 from your destination. Just be sure to check open hours at Autoeurope.com
In Venice, here are some ideas:
www.lacalcina.com
www.cadeidogi.it
Good luck and have fun !
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:51 AM
MaureenB

Here are two hotels, taken from my trip report of last May, which I'd recommend for under 150 EUR:

1. Hotel Riva, at Ponte dell’Angelo. www.hotelriva.it

"We checked in and were happy to have a first floor room, since there’s no elevator. Our room was in the corner, looking over the intersection of two small canals. We were pleased with this room assignment, since we had requested such a position, but were thinking we’d only have it for the second two nights, not all three nights. So we were prepared to move after our first night, but we were fortunate it turned out to be unnecessary to change rooms.

Hotel Riva is a small one-star hotel, very quaint and charming. Its lobby is welcoming, and its breakfast room is appealing, with both rooms having windows looking directly out on a little canal where gondoliers glide by every few minutes. It couldn’t be a better location. The hotel is sparkling clean, with marble floors, wooden walls, and glass sconces. The bedspreads could be replaced, as they are a bit worn, but that’s a very minor thing to notice, given the wonderful canal views from the hotel and its overall charm.

Our room had an amazing view of the two canals, and the bridges that cross them. Singing gondoliers would use one of the canals, especially. So, from our room, we could hear them go by, singing “Ave Maria” and other Italian favorites. I would sit on my bed, open both corner windows, and watch the activities on two different canals and bridges. Despite the nearness of the canals and the people walking over the bridges and down the little street, the noise was not bothersome to us. The double windows and shutters close tightly, and the canal and foot traffic seemed to be minimal at night.

I highly recommend the Hotel Riva. Its location and price are unbeatable. We paid for a double room, which was just 130 EUR, including an extra 10 EUR for the canal view. We actually had a triple room, with one large bed comprised of two twins pushed together, plus another twin bed in a little alcove. Breakfast is included, which is simply a hard roll and jam, but also with very nice cappuccino. It was a perfect hotel for us."

2. Casa Rezzonico, Dorsoduro, Fondamenta Gherardini 2813, www.casarezzonico.it.

"It is in a quiet, out-of-the-way location, near a small campo, close to the Accademia. It has an attractive garden area in the center, which some rooms overlook, and where breakfast buffet is served. A good budget choice."

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bob, that was what I was planning picking up the car is Chiusi looks like it right on the way.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Hi Aloveindi, we liked very much Arco del Lauro. So I hope you do to. good money wise.
Are you making your center of operations Montepulciano, only thing I would like to ask, is your apart. up or down . As I recall there is a lot of driving up in the town.
I read great reviews of Hotel Pensione La Calcina in Venice. It is in a beautiful place by the water and not expensive. Have a look.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Here's a place I love in Venice--should be in your price range . . .

http://www.alpontemocenigo.com/en/index.htm
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM

We had a nice stayed at Arco del Lauro. Lorenza is a welcoming innkeeper. Do ask her for restaurant recommendations. It is easy to fall into a tourist trap in Rome.

In Venice we stayed at Corte 1321. Our room was quite large. Good location and friendly owners. Not too far from the Rialto (but far enough that you are in a neighborhood with many locals.)

The train to Chiusi then picking up a car is a great suggestion. Less driving on your part.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM

By the way, Lorenza at Arco del Lauro uses a private service for airport pickup/dropoff. I can't recall his name at the moment but he was wonderful. The price was reasonable. He was friendly, funny and gave a quick Italian lesson. Rome was our last city before heading home and we used him for the airport drop off.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:51 AM

bkm
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

We decided to stay at the 3749 Ponte Chiodo Bed and Breakfast in Venice and have a canal view for 140 Euros. I have read nothing but wonderful things about the place.
www.pontechiodo.it

Also we changed our mind on Florence and decided to stay here hotelcestelli.com
We won't be in Florence very long (2 nights) and don't plan to spend much time in our room so we just wanted something fairly nice and inexpensive. This was recommended on slowtrav