Venice/Mestre Area Accomodation

Old May 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice/Mestre Area Accomodation

My wife and I fly into the Venice airport from the U.S. about noon on June 8 and leave by train for Varenna the next morning. As we will only be in the Venice area for half a day and will be suffering from jet lag, it doesn't seem practical to visit or stay overnight in Venice. Could someone suggest reasonably priced accomodations convenient to the train station? We had originally planned to fly to Milan but could not arrange it with frequent flyer points.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Hi Lyndell,

So, have you visited Venice before?

If you have a 1/2 day, I would either just go on to Varrena, or stay in Verona. Verona is on the way to Milan, where I believe you will change trains for Varrena anyway. About 1 - 1 1/2 hours from Venice.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, lyndell,

assuming you don't want to head immediately for Varenna, as the OP has suggested, why not overnight in Mestre?

you could book a cheap hotel there, [there's a bus from teh airport] and then either crash out, or, if you had the energy, get the train into Veince for the pm.

that would save you humping your luggage into Veince which is no fun especailly just for one night.

I looked on trenitalia and all the trains to Varenna stop at mestre. [some seem to start there too].

I know tat other fodorites will say that it's not the same as staying in Venice proper, but in your case, Mestre would be much easier.

regards, ann
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Plaza in Mestre last August for one night. It is directly in front of the Mestre train station. We had a lovely large corner room with a double bed, safe, large washroom, air conditioning and high ceilings. Their website lists double standard rooms (including breakfast) from 134 euros. I'm not sure how this price compares to other accomodations in the Venice/Mestre area but I thought I would share the info. If you wanted to head into Venice, the journey is very short (perhaps 10-15 minutes). Last summer a one way ticket to Venice from Mestre was 1 euro.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM

May I suggest a hotel in Venezia that has one of the best restaurants that I have dined in in the entire Veneto area? You will love the service and the comfort in this dining room-and the hotel is right there by the shopping/historical district of Piazza Ferretto-it is but a few minutes from the train station, if you need a taxi or a bus, they are right there.

The Hotel is "Hotel Venezia" and one of the most charming, best valued, and great food hotel restaurants that I've dined in, is located in this hotel:

www.hotel-venezia.com/eng/hotel.asp

I tell you, I am crazy for this restaurant, and their superb service-this is the place to stay in Venice, as far as I'm concerned.

Old May 18th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Girlspy: Thanks for the tip on the hotel and restaurant.
Old May 18th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Dayle:
Yes, we have visited Venice before. It was about a year ago and we did enjoy it.

We considered going on to Varenna the day we fly into Venice but decided to we'd rather wait until the following day rather than spend roughly 5 hours (including a change at Milan) to get there after the tiring overnight flight. Also, we actually have a hotel room across the lake from Varenna, in Bellagio. That would make the travel even longer.

Verona might not be a bad option for our first day if we could find a room not far from the train station.
xxxxxxxxx
Ann,
Mestre sounds good to me. Would you know of a good place to get a room?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
italiangirl,
Hotel Plaza in Mestre sounds okay, though I was hoping to get a room for 100 Euros or less.
xxxxxxxxxx
Girlspy:
Thanks for the tip on Hotel Venezia. We'll consider it the next when we have more time for Venice.
xxxxxxxxx
Thanks to everyone.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM

hi, lyndell,

I've not stayed in Mestre, but the plaza recommmendation looked good to me; i know it's slightly over your budget, but the convenience could be worth it. For one night, with jet-lag, a bit of pampering wouldn't come amiss.

After reading girlspy's recommendation of the hotel venezia accessed their web-site, to find to my surprise that that's in mestre too. couldn't find any prices though.

I should think that there are any number of hotels in mestre on www.venere.com, or try trip adviser.

good luck!

regards, ann
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:36 AM

Hi Lyndell - There are a number of hotels between the airport and Mestre which might come in your budget range.

All are within 10-15 mins bus ride of Mestre station:

www.marriott.com/property/propertypage/VCECY
www.titianinn.com/dovesiamo-eng.htm
www.venice-hotel.anniaparkhotel.it/index.htm

www.casadelmiele.com/ing/servizi.html
www.hotelholidayvenice.com/en/
www.hotelgamma.com/english/home.htm

www.venicehotelmary.com/en/description.htm

(I stayed at Hotel Mary recently for € 50)

For hotels in Mestre itself try:

www.veneziasi.it/H_List.asp?L=3

http://www.turismovenezia.it/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=440

http://www.venicehotel.org/eng/last_...=1&next=1&tz=0

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:05 AM
TYP

WE'RE GOING TO VENICE IN THE SUMMER AND WANTED TO STAY JUST OUTSIDE VENICE ISLAND TO KEEP THE PRICE DOWN. wE'VE BOOKED THE GOLDEN TULIP TRITONE APPARENTLY JUST OPPOSITE THE MESTRE TRAIN STATION AND A QUICK RIDE INTO THE MAIN AREA OF VENICE ALSO IT IS A 4 * HOTEL AND THE PRICES ARE GREAT !!!
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:48 AM

You could also consider staying in Padova overnight. I think the travel logistics would be similar to going to Verona, but it is closer. Seems more interesting for your first night in Italy than Mestre.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM

<Seems more interesting for your first night in Italy than Mestre.>

yes, but not so convenient if you deceide when you get there that you really do want to see Venice. also, there are lots of trains from mestre to Varenna.

regards, ann
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM

I stayed at Hotel Bologna, right across the street from the train station. It was a lovely hotel with a really great breakfast (included). I would not hesitate to stay there again! Also, it was a great value.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my question and thanks especially to Steve for all the suggested websites. This past weekend I contacted a number of the suggested places on the mainland through the internet. Most were in Mestre. Here are the results for a double room on my date of 8 June:

Golden Tulip - no rooms available
Marriot - no rooms available
Titian Inn - available @ E110
Casa del Miele - available @ E80
Hotel Bologna - available @ E330
Hotel Plaza - no rooms available
Annia Park Hotel - no response on avail.
Hotel Venezia - no rooms available
Hotel Mary - no response on avail.
Holiday Hotel - no response on avail.
Gamma Hotel - no response on avail.

I was surprised that 4 of the hotels did not respond and assume that they did not have rooms available.

I selected Casa del Miele. Their location was reasonably convenient (on a bus route that serves the airport and train station) and the price was very good. I'll try to remember to post a comment about it when we return.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:39 AM

hi, lyndell,

looks like an interesting place - love the name.

hope you have a great trip and have time for a trip report on your return.

regards, ann
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM

Please let us know about the hotel, Lyndell.

Buon viaggio

Steve
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

We will not be staying at Casa del Miele after all. When I posted on May 22, I had already responded to an offer from Casa del Miele and had faxed them with a credit card number. They had responded promptly to my initial enquiry and I was surprised when they did not confirm my reservation the next day. Casa del Miele finally replied today, indicating they no longer had a room available. My guess is that they received another enquiry for a longer stay and kept me dangling while they waited to see if that person would reserve the room.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 09:11 PM

Lyndell-try Hotel Vivit-right on the Piazza Ferretto-in other words, right in the shopping plaza-nice rooms (no elevator) and a 5 minute walk to Hotel Venezia, where you can dine in their lovely hotel restaurant until late.

www.hotelvivit.com/en/index.htm
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM

We stayed at Hotel Roberta in Mestre (3 star) while passing through Venice last July. It was just a 5 minute walk to the train station. We payed 70 euro for a double (and the room we received was actually a triple) with breakfast. The hotel also has air-conditioning. The staff are also very friendly and helpful. We stayed in Mestre because we were just stopping in Venice for a night with a car and didn't
want a hassle with parking etc. In fact it worked out so well that we stayed there again on our way back to Paris 2 weeks later.

http://www.hotelroberta.com/
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

In addition to the Mestre Hotels I had contacted previously, I emailed Hotel Roberta and Hotel Vivit and got no response. Also, we thought that we had a B&B in Venice and were told no when we checked two days before we were to arrive. The lesson we learned regarding hotels and B&Bs in the Venice/Mestre area was that no one wants to give you a room for just one night at a popular time of the year. Also, always check with a B&B to reconfirm a day or two before you are to be there.

We are now back from our trip and all worked out reasonably well. We ended up staying the night at the Hotel Monaco in Padova, 90 Euros dbl ensuite. The hotel was a little old and dark but the rooms were clean, the beds were satisfactory, and the people were nice. It was located almost directly across the street from the train station and the golden arches (McDonald's) was next to it. My only regret is that we didn't get the hotel's breakfast for 10 Euros more. We had expected to grab a quick bite at the train station before taking an early train to Milan. However, the little caffe in the train station closed and our train was delayed an hour due to G. Bush protestors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -