please compare/contrast these 2 Colisseum area hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please compare/contrast these 2 Colisseum area hotels

Albergo del Senato
Capo d'Africa

I know that both have roof terraces but that the decor of each is different. Does anyone happen to know which has the better beds and bathrooms? And which is more quiet?
I think the price range is probably about the same.

Thank you.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:00 AM

The Albergo del Senato is not near the Colosseum. It is opposite the Pantheon.

The Capo d'Africa is near the Colosseum.

Both hotels get good reviews.

While I've not stayed at either hotel, I prefer a location near the Pantheon.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:00 AM

The Del Senato is not near the Colosseum; it is in Piazza della Rotonda, across from the Pantheon. I've stayed at the Del Senato many times and have always found it very comfortable and quiet. But we stay on the sixth floor, so street noise wasn't and issue. It may be on the lower floors.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Been to both and prefer the Albergo del Senato. Certainly more to do around that hotel at night and much more centrally located.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies and for the location correction.
rinr: We're late 70's, go to sleep around 10:00, definitely won't be looking for things to do at night. What we most want is peace and quiet and somewhere whose location is suitable for walking to many sites, but that's quiet and sort of "dead" in the evening.
Grinisa: Nice to hear the report from you on quiet. Didn't hear noise from adjoining rooms? Some reviews say the walls are especially thin and that they were bothered by neighbors who they felt were probably speaking in normal voices, i.e. not esp loudly. Is there one specail room that you particularly like? What was the bathroom like? did you have a king bed?

Thanks for continued input!
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I have stayed at both. Del 2x and Capo 4x, most recently 8 months ago.

For my money, I prefer the Capo d'Africa. Standard rooms are larger and the area is not as mobbed as that near the Pantheon - which years ago was my preferred area to stay. There is a lovely rooftop terrace where you can relax with a bottle of wine and enjoy the view. Breakfast room was much nicer and breakfast quality better.

The Del Senato was most definitely noisier and I rarely had an uninterrupted night's sleep with the scooter noises and partiers. And yes, walls are thin.

We were very content with the area around the Capo d'Africa and enjoyed the more local establishments more than the very touristy Pantheon area. Definitely got a better night's sleep as well!
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM

You've been chewing this over for weeks, here and at TA.

No hotel in the historic center (neither Albergo del Senato nor Ponte Sisto) is going to give you the peace and quiet you're looking for. It just doesn't exist in the historic center.

Go for the Capo d'Africa. It's a quieter area, but there are still streets. And where there are streets, there are cars and scooters. Whether you hear them depends on the location of your room and the soundproofing in the hotel.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

kfusto: thank you so much for your kind and detailed reply.
Zerlina: please kindly refrain from responding to my posts. They are unhelpful and condescending. I do not need anyone to tell me that I've been contemplating my choices for a while. That is my right and my choice (as well as to post on several websites). Save yourself the trouble--don't reply to me. No loss.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 10:44 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Lancelot which is in the Colosseum area and were very happy with this choice. Previous trips we stayed in the Piazza Navona area which was nice but very busy.

The area is very quiet and the hotel itself does have a rooftop terrace. We had a suite with private rooftop terrace which was lovely. I believe they have a few rooms with these terraces. Never heard any noise in the hotel however we were on the 6th floor.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM

We always stay in room 602 which is the Senior Suite. It's a fabulous suite with a room with two single beds that my girls sleep in and the larger main bedroom with a "king" bed which is really two twins pushed together. The bathroom is very nice with a separate shower stall, tub, sink with ample counter space and bidet etc. What makes the suite truly special is the private terrace with table and chairs overlooking the Pantheon. We were never bothered by noise from the room next door.