Search

Hotel Due Torri vs. Grand Hotel Delle Minerve

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:31 PM
pal
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Due Torri vs. Grand Hotel Delle Minerve

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out which is better. We want something as close to piazza navonna/pantheon as possible (have stayed near spanish steps before, and prefer p.n. better). We also want a nice, clean, safe, comfortable, and preferably at least 4 star. I've read that the due torri is 3 star, but how much different in quality are the 2 hotels?

Can anyone help?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:50 PM

I can only help in a second-hand way, haven't stayed at either. The Minerve is a landmark hotel, renovated not long ago. Excellent location, couldn't be better really imo. About a 7-10 minute walk to P. Navona, 3-4 minutes to the Pantheon.
Some family members of mine stayed at the Minerva earlier this year, they felt it was indeed pretty "grand."

I have also heard good things about the Due Torri, but I believe it is a smaller hotel, and down a notch or two from the Minerve in price and in accommodations. That's not at all to say that it isn't clean, safe, and comfortable. Do a search right here for past comments, also go to the fodors hotel section to see if there are Rants and Raves comments.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Two other hotels to check out: The 4-star Hotel Pantheon, which is around the corner from THE PANTHEON, and the 3-star Albergo Del Senato which is across the street from the Pantheon. We stayed at Hotel Pantheon, which had lovely rooms and excellent service, but from what I saw and heard through this board, I'd be tempted to try Albergo Del Senato next time. Apparently it offers rooms overlooking the Rotunda Del Pantheon, and nothing can match that view!

Good luck.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:56 PM

I've stayed at both and would pick the Minerva any day. I think the Due Torri is more like a two star, at most. These hotels really are not in the same league, especially if you are looking to stay in a four star. I stayed at the Del Senato in April and liked it so much I'm staying there again in October.The Del Senato is a three star hotel that feels more like four star. So if you want to save some money and be right on Piazza della Rotunda, look into the Del Senato.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Due Torri's rates sure aren't like 2 star however.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:34 PM
pal
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Great info. I've been checking out websites, and reading more into the forums and I tend to agree, that although nice, the Due Torri is probably not what I'm looking for, especially at those prices.

Let me muddy the picture a bit. Weadles and Grinisa mention two other hotels I'm interested in. How would you compare the Hotel Pantheon vs. Albergo Senato vs. G.H. Delle Minerve?

I think this should definitely help me pinpoint the exact hotel I want.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 08:46 PM
pal
Original Poster

Hi, I just wanted to do a quick followup, particularly to Grinisa. You've stayed at both the De La Minerve and the Albergo Del Senato. What are your views, pro/con of each hotel compared to eachother?
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:43 AM

Minerva is a fine hotel but to me, a bit business oriented and a little cold. The Del Senato is warm and friendly, views the Pantheon (only some rooms at the Minerve view a small portion of the back of the Pantheon) and costs less. I'd go with the Del Senato.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:42 AM

I've heard wonderful things about the Del Senato, but will put in a plug for the Santa Chiara, which happens to be across the street from the Minerve.

Excellent breakfast buffet (included) with good coffee, pleasant decor, helpful staff, all essential services and then some
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:56 AM

Haven't stayed at the Minerve but stayed at Del Senato. The rooms are in excellent condition, the lobby looks sparkling new even though the hotel possesses a lot of charm. Location is excellent, about 3 min. walk to P. Navonna and right across from the Pantheon.