Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Plans for Piedmont: Turin and Langhe Valley

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a trip to Turin and the Langhe Valley for June/July, flying round trip to Milan. We are anxious to hear from those who have spent time inTurin and/or have traveled south to Alba, Asti, and other towns of the region. Recommendations for hotels? For special destinations and attractions? We plan to rent a car in Turin for the drive into the Valley.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Baur B&B on the outskirts of Acqui Terme is stunning. Diana's hospitality is warm and genuine, and her breakfasts are the best I've ever had, anywhere. She and her husband provide as much help as needed in planning day trips. The rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable. We are planning another trip to Italy around a stay here.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM

We spent 10 days in Piedmont in October. I'll be posting a report on it next week.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...t-and-nice.cfm

The above is a link to my trip report from our trip in 2009. We loved the area.
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM

James:

For oustanding lodgings just outside Alba, we enthusiastically recommend <b> Villa La Favorita</b>.
In addition to Julie Vikmanis'(above post)excellent TR, EKSCRUNCHY's very detailed TR on the region came out about a four months before we left in October '09. She had been very complimentary in her endorsement of the villa and we, without question, booked it. We found in corresponding with Roberta, the owner, that she was as pleasant and helpful that one could hope for.

Looking at the web site pictures, we chose the "Rossa Room" (see Villa web pages). etting around using the Villa as a base was most convenient, and Roberta's knowledge of the area helped immeasurably. (English speaking, but I got to try out my East Boston Italian phrasing in conversation
with her)

For Piemonte "foodie" information from EK, to go with Julie's, read:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-bicerin.cfm

http://www.villalafavorita.it/home_uk.html

Stu Tower (we also found Alba to be a perfect "place to base")
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Acqui Terme is not particularly convenient to touring the Langhe hills, especially if your major reason for going there is wine. Why not base in the scenic Langhe itself? It has as a many highy regarded lodgings as Tuscany, in all price ranges. Were it me, I would want to base in the wine country at a winery or a farmhouse that served meals cooked on site and served wine so i didn't need to drive home after dinner. I would use lunch time as the time to experiment with restaurants. You can find some great recommendations in food and wine magazines, or guidebooks and websites specifically focused on food and wine in Piemonte.

Torino has perhaps the most eclectic choice of museums of all Italian cities, and my personal favorite is the movie museum, perhaps the best of its kind. Torino is the birthplace of Italian cinema, and the movie museum is comprehensive shrine to all the romance of movies, international as well as Italia. In addition, it's top floor -- reached by interior glass elevator -- has a great view of the alps on a clear day.

You can learn more about Torino and its many different attractions at this website:

http://www.extratorino.it/ENG/list.php?categoriaID=12

Coffee and hazenutty chocolate are two specialties of Torino you should take time to enjoy in the cities many historic caffes. Likewise, come the cocktail hour, Torino has no match in Italy for mixing up great drinks and putting out a spread of free nibbles to go with them if you know where to look.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/turin+city-breaks

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 01:01 AM

Hi James, not to nitpick a fine point, but its actually Langhe Hills not valley.

From a local's point of view the central Piemonte wine area or what has been referred to as "the zone" is the area encompassed from Turin (NW corner) over to Casale Monferrato (NE corner) down to Acqui Terme and Ovada(SW) and over to Fossano and Cuneo (SE) and incorporates the Monferrato, Langhe and Roero hills.

Asti is central to the whole area and 40 minutes from Turin. Alba is closer to the Langhe area and one hour plus from Turin. If you search this forum and others you can find many threads about the area.
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all of the above for the suggestions. We have booked four nights at the Baur B&B thanks to enewell and the other rave reviews online. I have rarely read so much high praise, especially for a European B&B. I know it's a bit east of the real Langhe area, but it doesn't look as though the drive is too bad. Besides, Diana, who runs the place with her husband, promises good wine tours at small wineries in the Acqui Terme area. But I need to see the Borolo grapes!
james_lee
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 12:35 PM

James: I have five words for you,

<b>Tajarin with Sage and Butter!</b>

stu
Happy Piemonte Travels
<i>(tajarin, salvia e burre)</i>
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tower. Never heard of this pasta, but just looked it up. Sounds rich enough to add on a couple of pounds. Oh, those egg yolks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 03:24 AM

Hi there,

You can try my Bed & Breakfast if you want. Is in Langhe (Mondovì). Restaurant and bed & breakfast service.

http://www.villadurando.it/?lang=en