Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in Montepulciano (Villa Cicolina)

Dec 21st, 2005, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Do you know Villa Cicolina in Montepulciano?

www.villacicolina.it

Has anybody stayed there? Do you have some information about it?
Thanks
Dec 22nd, 2005, 07:31 PM

Dear Alex,

This is what I said on another post about the Villa Cicolina:

This fall we stayed at the Villa Cicolina just outside of Montepulciano. I chose it because of great reviews on SlowTrav and TripAdvisor. We loved staying there. The property is gorgeous, the rooms are large with great views. Each day, you can read the cook's suggested menu for dinner and decide whether you wish to return to eat there that night, or dine else where. Their wine selection (including from their own properties) is to be recommended. The grounds are full of flowers, has an infinity swimming pool and the villa is in a great location on if you have a car. We drove to all the sites in southern Tuscany and were pleased to come home and have drinks in their cabana at the end of the day.

I want to add that the owners and all the staff were terrific. The dinners we ate there were some of the best meals we had on our trip. You won't be disappointed if you stay there.

Hope this helps. SusanEva
Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:52 PM

Looks lovely. What's their price range (nothing on the web site).
Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou very much, SusanEva. That review encourage me to choose Villa Cicolina.
Referring to the prices, I have sent an e-mail asking for them, but you can have an idea looking this website:
http://www.intuscany.net/hotels/villa_cicolina.htm
Dec 23rd, 2005, 06:02 AM

Dear Alex,

I really can't say enough nice things about the Villa. Their menus were creative and the location for the meals is in a lovely brick outbuilding, or outdoors under umbrella covered tables. The setting is tranquil and looks out over the Tuscan hills to the east, with beautiful sunrises in the morning. But most of all, the hosts and staff were very gracious and gave us lots of ideas of what to see in the area, great suggestions for dinner, etc.

Wanderer, we stayed in a large two room suite (Il Balcone) with a spacious bathroom/shower/soaking tub for just over $200 euro per night.

The only caution is that it is best to have a car, as it is outside of Montepulciano. S.
Dec 26th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Dear SusanEva,

Thanks again. The information you give me is very useful for me.
We are 2 couples and a 2-year old child and we still haven't decided if it's better to rent an apartment or 2 B&B rooms. Have you seen the apartments in Villa Cicolina? Do you know what rooms or apartments are better (view,...)?
On the other hand, we are going to rent a car but we would like to know if the place is difficult to reach by car or far away from Montepulciano.
Thanks again (If you prefer, you can send me an e-mail to [email protected]).
Àlex
Dec 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Hi Alex,

The apartments are in a separate building, which was close to the pool and the chapel, with a porch or lawn area with views to the east and north. I didn't see the inside, but it looked very nice and perhaps would be especially good for two couples and a little one.

In the villa, the rooms that face the east have the best views. The one we had (Il Balcone) had an especially nice view.

The villa is easy to get to by car and they have a good sided parking area. It is less than 5 minutes away from Montepulciano. we went to Montepulciano for dinner and for sight seeing.

One thing I liked about the villa - they don't pressure you to eat dinner there. Every day, by about 9 AM, a dinner menu is displayed so you can check it out and decide if you want to be back for dinner or go elsewhere. On the two nights we didn't have dinner, the staff was very helpful in recommending and making reservations at other locations.

Also, you could feel very comfortable calling them directly with any questions. Their staff (Michelle & Andrea) are very helpful (and for me, speak English fluently).

Best wishes.
Dec 28th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, SusanEva for your comments and advice. I will definetely contact them to ask for some more information.
I think Villa Cicolina is a good basis to explore South Tuscany.
Thanks and best wishes,

Àlex
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:02 AM

We stayed at Villa Cicolina this past August and absolutely loved it - nice views, great breakfast, great pool, warm staff, good location. Can't wait to go back! I agree with SusanEva!