Planning Prague & Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

This is a two-part trip for myself and my wife for the first half on June. I'll ask the Brugge/Amsterdam questions on another thread.

Tentative itinerary is:
Arrive in Prague about noon and stay that day a four more.
Sleeper train from Prague to Budapest.
Spend 3 days in Budapest and take a 7:45PM flight from Budapest to Brussels.

I haven't given much to comment on but comments are requested.

Most importantly I'm looking for hotel suggestions in the 200E range.

Thanks.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I strongly recommend the B&B where we stayed in Budapest. Read toward the end of my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34659808
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM

Prague is fabulous! We found a gem of a hotel located at the foot of the Charles Bridge on the castle side of the river. It's in your price range, charming, clean and well run. Here's the link. http://www.certovka.cz/certovka.php?...amp;1129759752
Great restaraunt around the corner on the river (we went 3 times!)

If you like opera, you should take in a performance - gorgeous facilities, inexpensive tickets (for operas)
No help on Budapest. We went to Vienna instead.
Good luck and have fun!

Carlene
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Carlene,

For some reason I had it in my mind that the place to be is on the other side of the bridge.

However, the location looks great and so does the hotel.

I'm trying to get distances in my mind.

From the hotel how long does it take to get around onto the Bridge? How long does it take to walk across the Bridge? Then on to the main square in the Old Town?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how walkable everything is or do we have to ride around on the transportation system?

One last q. Is the hotel in an isolated area beneath the bridge or is it a reasonably live area?

Thanks for your help. That hotel looks great!!!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM
cherylforeurope

I can help a little here...just got back from Prague and Budapest. It's only a couple of minutes to walk across the bridge unless you stop at the vendors or
statues. The walk to old town won't take more than 10 minutes from the bridge. Have fun.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Cheryl,

Thanks.

Since you just came back what advice can you give and any hotel recommendations for Budapest.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Cheryl's answers are dead on as to distance. Many guide books do recommend the other side of the river, but from my perspective we loved staying right where we were. There are actually stairs down from the Charles Bridge to the hotel and the many shops in the area. It is a quiet, restful area. Prague seemed to have a very boisterous night life. Peacefulness was key to us which is why we selected our location and the price was right!! I went with my sister and mother (age 63 at the time (1 1/2 yrs ago) My mom is not terribly fit, but she had no problem with the walking. Prague is very much a walking town. I don't think we ever even used the transit. tripadvisor.com has several reviews if you felt inclined to check it out.

http://www.certovka.cz/certovka.php?...amp;1129759752

We booked through an outfit located in Prague, Andel3w.
http://www.andel3w.dk/
They also do bookings in Budapest. You can often get a discount if you book more than one city through them. They do an outstanding job with tours. We hired a private guide one day to drive us around to Kutna Hora (bone church) and Karlstein castle.
Sorry so long-winded!!
Carlene
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM

I stayed both in Mala Strana and in Josev on my recent trip to Prague. I loved Mala Strana except the place I got was up the hill on Nerudova near the castle. It was quite a hike up the hill just to get back to my room! I moved after two nights to a hotel in Josev. That too was a nice location, close to the Old Town Square, but Mala Strana is quaint and a neat neighborhood. The location of the hotel Carlene mentions looks really good. Crossing the Charles Bridge is an easy quick walk to Old Town.

If you wind up staying near the Charles Bridge, take a stroll out on it at daybreak if you get jetlagged and awake early - see it nearly empty without the tourists.

I was in Budapest also on my trip, but I enjoyed Prague far more. Budapest is a lot bigger and not as appealing, though Budapest has its own kind of appeal. It is very beautiful at night when all lit up.

Andrew
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM
Rod

I think there is more to Budapest than to Prague, so would add a day to Bp and take from Prague -- but that is one view. In Prague, consider the Pariz hotel, though I don't know current rates. In Budapest, the Marriott has excellent views (all river-facing). Pricing can vary by time of year and special event schedules.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:52 PM

We made this trip last year at this time. Praque is lovely. Great food, great architecture, great people. We stayed the Carlos 5th which was excellent. We took guided tours through the city and on the river (don't miss this option as it's a spectacular way to see Praque). Go to U fleku and have beer and a juniper-flavored beer with Europeans of many nationalities. The music is wonderful there and at the music halls. We saw a marionette show and it was only ok- recorded music and tired costumes. Go to the opera or orchestra instead. Mozart composed Don Giovanni in Praque. We didn't have enough time to go through the Jewish Quarter cemetary and I regret this. It looked very interesting and is in the most elegant part of town.

Be warned about the night train to Budapest. The train station is deserted at night and no one speaks English. Our conductor screamed at us as if we were in the wrong coach but finally a student told us just to go to our couchette. These are old, ricketty, dirty trains more remniscent of the eastern block than western Europe. It was supposed to be an express but it stopped often and armed guards pound on the doors asking for passports all along the way. It was a horrific night. I wish we'd found an inexpensive flight instead.

Budapest is actually two cities separatedby a river. We stayed in Buda at a wonderful hotel but I can't remember the namem (possibly the corinthian?). It was completely renovated- 2 buildings glassed in and connected. We didn't go to the famous baths but you probably should. We took a day trip to an artist's community nearby and it was not very exciting. I wish we had gone to the baths or another museum. DON'T MISS the House of Terror. It looks like something from Disney outside but it is an excellent way to gain an understanding of the Hungarian psyche. They were on the losing side of the last seven wars they were in. Finally, if you'd like an affordable splurge go to Grendel which is one of the oldest restaurants in Europe in a charming area of town. The setting is old-world, the food is haute cuisine with a live string quartet. Try the local Tokaj wine which is well-regarded. Your dollar still goes far in Hungary because is not on the euro. If you decide to go on to Vienna be sure to take the hydrofoil up the Danube (although the season may almost be over). It's a spectacular way to say the countryside, dotted by castles, churches and two of the most amazing sets of locks. Your little boat rises hundreds of feet before your eyes. Have a great time. We did!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rod and ninewinx,

A bit late to change plans about the train. Hope that works out. We'll just have to get to the station early enough and handle whatever happens.

About the Marriott in Bidapest. I notice that there are two of them; a hotel and Executive aprtments. They appear to be together.

Any idea what's the difference.

Thanks.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

ninewinx,

Teher appears to be a pretty good train leaving Prague 16:35 arriving in Budapest 23:47.

I've allowed 4 1/4 days in Prague and leaving at 4:30PM may be worth to and then get a good night's sleep in Budapest. We wouldn't have to leave for the train until about 3:30 so would have a good part of the day in prague.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM

I personally would not want to arrive in Budapest near midnight, and I usually like to get my travel out of the way early in the day. Yes you can spend half the day in Prague doing stuff, but you will be constantly thinking about getting to the train station, at least I would be! That would make my last half day in Prague a little less enjoyable, in my case anyway!

Andrew
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:19 PM

We enjoyed Budapest and Prague in June with a group. Both have lots to see and you will be walking quite bit. There are likely many small ensembles performing with leaflets passed out. Our hotel in Prague: Don Giovanni with easy subway to Mala Strana and the rest. In Budapest the Radisson was nice. Side trips to enjoy: Nosalov, Dvorak home out of Prague, Danube Bend-Szentendre, Holloko out of Budapest. Enjoy your visit.
ozarksbill
[email protected]
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:24 PM

Haven't you read my trip report on Prague <The Pancaky Papers: Thingorjus in Praha>? It is one of the legendary posts here on Fodor's. You can access it by clicking on my sn and searching through all my old posts. It should be near the top, however. It really doesn't matter where you stay in Prague as long as you are near a Metro station.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Sorry,

I didn't know about your legendary report. I'll check it out in a couple of minutes.

Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 03:01 AM

Myer,

Prague site for hotels - www.hotelscentral.com

I've stayed at the Atos and Residence Mala Strana (both are in Mala Strana which is IMO the best place to stay in Prague). It's a lot quieter than the Old Town (Stare Mesto) and it also means you get the nice walk across the Vltava a few times a day!

For Budapest I used the same site. I stayed at the Astoria which is right next to a metro station so getting around is easy. Get A Budapest card for 3 days (5900 HUF) which gives you free public transport travel and some sights as well as discounts on some too.
In Budapest make sure you visit a spa bath. We only did it on our final day and deeply regretted it as it was a good experience!

I think you'll enjoy both cities equally well. So have a good time!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:48 PM

I went to the baths in Budapest and was glad I did just for the experience, but it wasn't something I needed to do more than once.

Andrew