Budapest or Prague?

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest or Prague?

Only have 7 days & really would prefer to stay put in 1 hotel. Solo, female traveler & love wandering & exploring. Any city safer than another? Both cities sound wonderful..Thoughts? Suggestions of central hotels? will not have a car.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:37 PM

You can't lose with either city. My personal preference is Budapest although my sister in law didn't like it because it wasn't "pretty" like Vienna. A lot of wonderful history, beautiful old Pest with lovely cobbled castle district, terrific public baths. We stayed at a B&B San Marco Guest House with extremely helpful and gracious owners a bus ride away from the Gellert Hotel but right on the bus line. However, Prague is romantic,and a great bit of recent history is alluring. Good night life with excellent clubs. I loved Mala Strana as a place to stay and to explore. Close to church concerts and winding beautiful streets. I stayed at one of the most outstanding residences I have ever visited, Pension Dientzenhofer with a lovely courtyard right by the river and wood floors with excellent breakfasts and very helpful owners (Nosticova 2, tel:02/53 16 72, 53 88 96). Both Prague and Budapest are extremely friendly and safe (although there are a couple of questionable areas of both cities) and knowing any Hungarian or Czech is greatly appreciated. I want to go to Visegrad on the Danube bend and had plans but they didn't materialize. Next year.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:33 PM

I love both cities and they are comparable. Budapest is less expensive and the chain bridge and the view of the parliament building is great. But the Charles Bridge at night in Prague is so romantic and nice. Both have lots to see and good day trips. Prague has been more westernized than Budapest. I give Prague the nod on architecture and Budapest the nod on spas.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Any other opinions? Thanks
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:18 PM
Art

I enjoyed both but Budapest won out for me. I spend 8 days there with a one day trip to Lake Baleton. You can easily fill up your 7 days with Budapest. For 7 days in Prague you would really need to take 2 or 3 day trips. There is a pamphlet that was published 4 years ago titled "Twelve walks in Budapest" by a Dr. Fleps. It gives excellent directions on the Subways and trams with the stops to get off at and then walking directions, a little of history behind each point of interest as well as dining sugestions. Plan on attending the Opera.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:39 PM

I will go with Budapest because of the same reason as Art. I actually prefer Prague, which is just such a beautiful old city, but I feel Budapest has a little more to offer for 7 days if you stay in one place.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:16 PM

Hi, Art! Haven't heard from you or the Fleps for a while. How is everything?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Great feedback...Anyone else with opinions? Best hotels w\ best locations? Restaurants etc.?