planning for august

Mar 30th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

planning for august

My husband and I are interested in traveling to Europe in August (of this year). We had planned on cruising to several greek islands, but the cruises seem to be only for July and then September. I figure August is vacation month for Europeans, so that may be why.

We're in need of suggestions. We're not "beach" folks - enjoy cities and historical sites, or places with lots of "color." we've "done" Italy, Paris, London.

Understanding that we're probably already very late in our planning, we're hoping someone will have a great idea for us. We have two weeks. Thanks.
Mar 30th, 2008, 05:30 AM

The possibilities are endless. You are correct that the month of August is vacation month for many Europeans. Notably French. That said how about 2 weeks in Northern Italy? Perhaps 3 or 4 days in Venice, head west, choose a base in Tuscany allowing then for day trips to Florence, Pisa etc. Perhaps Montacatini Terme (a spa town) could act as a base. With two weeks, if you are feeling adventurous you could fly to another city for an overnight. Sky europe and Ryan Air have very low prices... so imagine a short flight from Milan to Dublin for an overnight jaunt.
Mar 30th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Scotland - the Western Isles.
Maybe Yorkshire too...
Mar 30th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Love the trip through Venice and Tuscany, but I should have added that to our list - we did it two years ago. It's great advice, though. What a wonderful trip!

I never thought of Scotland. We'll look into that idea. Thanks
Mar 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM

In August, you should stay north of the Alps to avoid excessive heat. Germany, Austria, Scandinavia, Netherlands, Belgium are perfect in August: Moderate temperatures and no crowds, since the natives are on vacation.
Mar 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM

August is very hot in Greece, Spain or Turkey. But its the ideal month for Scandinavia. Go to Copenhagen, take after some days there one of the big ferries (several are really luxurious) to Stockholm and from this destination another one to Oslo or Helsinki. You can fly to all these cities, but the journey with the ferry is much more interesting and spectacular.
Another option would be Central Europe, i.e. Switzerland, Germany, Austria and/or Hungary/Czech Republic.
Mar 30th, 2008, 07:33 AM

I agree with the focus North of the Apls in August, think also about river cruises (Moselle, Rhine, and some in Russia might be of interest.)

Note that Rome extended to Trier in Germany and Hadrian's wall in UK, most of Hungary and Roumania so lots of ancient stuff to see
Mar 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM

If you're not beach people don;t understand why you would head to the Greek Isles in August.

Agree that in August I would head for Scandinavia - weather is great then, tons of museums and other things to see/do - and hotel rates tend to be lower (locals are vacationing farther south and there are relatively few business travelers).
Mar 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Scotland/Northern England, Scandanavia, parts of Eastern Europe.

Scotland would be my first choice - though not Edinburgh if you are not going specifically for the Festivals/Tattoo (the Tattoo is already sold out so that isn't an issue).

But Northern Scotland/Skye/the Orkneys or maybe SW Scotland/the Borders would be terrific in August.
Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.

We have some reading to do!
Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:12 AM
ira

Hi M,

For 2 weeks in August, I suggest Scotland, Denmark, Scandinavia, Salzburg and the Salzkammergut, the Dordogne region of France.

The last two are going to be crowded.

Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM

I also think the Netherlands or Scotland are excellent ideas for August - and not just for the scrumptous weather.
May 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM

First comment is that it's liable to be blazing hot then! That said, we took an amazing tour with Tauck that included a Greek Island cruise with Windstar. Look into it!