Transportation to Picos de Europa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how to get from Santander to Cosgaya by bus or train? My daughter wants to travel to Picos de Europa and is looking at a hotel in that area but needs public transportation. Any help? Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM

Hi,

I know there is bus to Potes, near Cosgaya. Maybe you can get a taxi from Potes to Cosgaya. I'll try to find my info on bus transport.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM

Yes, the bus company that runs from Santander to Potes, 13 km. north of Cosgaya is La Palomera. From Potes, La Palomera runs an extension all the way to Fuente De, with stops in Cosgaya and Espinama, BUT that extension starts on July 2, only running in the summer.

When is she traveling? If before July 2, she'd need to taxi from Potes to Cosgaya.

Buses from Santander to Potes depart at 10:30 daily, 12:45 and 5 pm Mon.-Fri. and there's a Sat. bus that departs at 3:15.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM

Hi again,

Maribel, you are too fast for me! LOL!!

Ok, this is the website I used to find bus schedules in that area:

http://www.santandereabus.com/

Hope your daughter makes it to that area, it's beautiful!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

She is traveling in mid July. She has several possibilities for lodging: Cassa Gustavo, Hotel Cosgaya, and Tierra de la Reina. Do you know anything about any of these? Thanks so much for your help! Any idea what taxis might cost?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - they were originally headed to the Greek isle of Santorini, but it was too expensive to get there. So they found a cheap Ryan air to Santander, knowing nothing about it. When I researched that area and saw the national park, I wanted to go there myself! You guys are great! Any information you can give us would be helpful.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM

I'm sure Maribel will chime in and probably she can shed light on the lodging you mention.

I hope she'll also get to spend some time in Santander. It's a really nice city with a gorgeous beach , and mid July is perfect time to visit.

Picos de Europa is magnificent. Just thinking about it I want to go back myself!

How many days will she be in the area?
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Their plan is to stay in Santander from the 9th to the 12th of July - they found some Aranzazu Studio Apts- and then they want to stay until the 17th or the 18th in the picos. They (she and a girlfriend) are both 25. My daughter spent a year in France in college, so maybe she can understand some Spanish. She now teaches in an inner city school in Chicago so they need to travel frugally!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

I did check the bus schedule and could not find a bus to Cosagaya, only to Potes.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM

Hi cruiseluv,
Didn't see your post while writing mine!

rabever87,
Here's the bus schedule:

http://tinyurl.com/4gty6w

The extension bus from Potes to Fuente De, which will stop in Cosgaya (although the bus schedule doesn't indicate that), leaves daily at 1 pm, so she would need to take the 10:30 bus from Santander.

I'm not familiar with the hotels you mentioned. We've spent lots of time in the Picos recently and were in Cosgaya in Nov. but don't recall seeing those particular lodgings. Cosgaya is tiny, so don't know how we missed them. (We've stayed at the Hotel del Oso and have dined at the Casona de Cosgaya). The Hotel del Oso is slightly more expensive, maybe 75 euros in July, but absolutely charming, charming, charming, complete with the cutest St. Bernards you can imagine, one a puppy.

In Potes there's a great, relatively inexpensive place, the Casa Cayo, that we enjoy for meals. We haven't stayed there, but if the rooms are as nice as the dining, it's a good bet. Rooms probably go for around 55 euros.

www.casacayo.com

In Potes she wouldn't be so isolated and would have more opportunities for excursions. Potes is the mountaineering capital of the Picos, so there's just much more "going on", day and night.
It would be very difficult to stay in Cosgaya for several nights without a car.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM

Perhaps your daughter has seen this already, but for lots of info regarding the Cantabrian Picos and the Liébana valley, where Cosgaya and Potes are found, see:

http://tinyurl.com/5sk8tu
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM

I want to second what Maribel said about Potes. Such a delightful small town.

Actually, I had tried to make reservations at Hotel del Oso, but when I explained to the owners I wouldn't have a car, they said it wouldn't be a good idea to stay there. I considered staying in Potes, but in the end did a day trip from Santander to Fuente De and Potes. Had a delicious lunch of cocido liebanes at Casa Cayo!
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM

If other travellers on this forum do not have personal experience of a particular establishment then another good resource for reviews is Toprural.
www.toprural.com
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM

I've taken la Palomera Bus to Potes from Santander and stayed at Hostal Picos de Europa in Potes: Get off at the first stop in Potes! It's an acceptable place to stay: clean and quiet; and it's within walking distance to the center of town.

As I recall, there were 'for hire' taxis near the main Bus Stop. The Hostal owner knows everything (I got the impression that he may be a retired Guardia de la Montaña) and he can probably arrange side trips to Fuente Dé and/or Cosgaya.

Another trip (w/wife), we stayed at Hostal Paris in el Sardinero: we booked a Thursday excursion to Fuente Dé; but we made the mistake of booking the 'meal inclusive' tour. That was a bad idea! We got to spend a few hours in Potes; but the restaurant was out in the 'boonies.' I got the distinct impression that we had been 'brother in lawed.'

They might want to flip-flop their sked a bit: Santander has a fiesta Santiago in mid-July complete with daily Corridas and Concerts. All along C/de Burgos it's Party Time!
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Hi rabever87,
I must have had a brain cramp, because yes, I do certainly know the Hotel Cosgaya, which is directly across the highway from the adorable Hotel del Oso and next door to the Casona de Cosgaya. The hotel is a quite nice, tidy place.....however,

Your daughter and her friend would really be stuck, very stuck in Cosgaya without a car. It's not really a village at all, just a collection of houses and inns.

Everything the girls would want and need (adventure sports and excursions in 4x4 companies, outfitters, outdoor wear shops (where I bought a much needed rain slicker!) pharmacies, supermarkets, bars, restaurants, tourist office, bus station, Monday market, newspaper kiosk, laundry, taxis, etc. are all found in the "capital" of the Liébana valley, POTES. It makes the best base, and really the only practical base for those without a car. And it's just a very pleasant town to boot.

She and her friend can hook up with a group excursion into the mountains, or take a guided hike (offered in summer). Or join a group trip down to do the Cares gorge hike-one of the Picos most extraordinary walks (but one that's extremely popular and best to do in July during the week; on weekends the path gets crazily crowded!! I did it the first week of July on weekday and it wasn't so packed). Every adventure outfitter there will offer one-we checked them out in Nov. There will be organized bus trips down to the cable car at Fuente Dé.

The Casa Cayo is right smack in the middle of town, facing the river-a great location. In addition to it and the Hostal that NED mentions, there's the Hotel Infantado, in Ojedo, just a km. from the center of Potes and easily walkable. It is listed on toprural.com with one great review and one just so, so.

Here's another source for Cantabria info:

http://english.turismodecantabria.com

And some photos of Potes:

http://tinyurl.com/5b6jfx

Hope this helps.
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I emailed your responses to my daughter and she decided to stay in Potes. I think that's a good decision, and she can take day trips on the bus. They are staying at Villa de Potes. She did know about the festival in Santander, but I don't know if they will be there for that. You all had such excellent suggestions, and I think they will both be much happier in Potes. I'm going to be a stowaway with them!
Old May 25th, 2008, 04:28 AM

Playa Sardinero is one of my favorite places on God's green earth, especially when they celebrate a visit by the King & Queen of Spain back in the 1890's and everyone dresses in 'period' costumes. It's also home to UIMP, Pronounced 'wimp,' Universidad Internaciónal Menendez Pelayo on Avda. de los Castros a couple of blocks south of the beach. It's also where Spain's first public Golf Course is located.

Santander: If all else fails, go to the west steps of the Bus Station - there, you find people soliciting new arrivals. They ask if you are looking for a Pensión; it's usually just sleeping rooms. They're required to have Government-issued certification for that; if you're interested, ask to see it. Once, I got a room there; it was on C/San Luis, just a block off Avda. de Burgos. It was a good location: a 4th floor piso in a modern building w/elevator. They rent out one or two bedrooms. The Owners were Doña Carmen Santiago and her husband, Benito Santiago.

As you can tell from the multiplicity of my posts, I have visited Santander numerous times and Liebana several times.

A neutral review: Hostal Liebana on c/Salmerón in Santander. Close to the Bus Station and to the FEVE Station, but that's about the only positive things I can say about it.

Sorry, I have no info on Villa de Potes
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM

rabever87,
Glad your daughter and friend are now set with lodging in both Santander and Potes-the idea of a studio apartment in each location seems like a really solid plan to me. I've looked at the Villa de Potes, and it will be fine.
www.villadepotes.com

Potes has 3 supermarkets, and under the arcades on the main street, she'll find lots of specialty food stores selling the quesucos (little Liebana cheeses) of the region, sausages, that make fine fixings for a picnic. And while she's there, on Mon. July 14, there will be a large outdoor market set up on the other side of the river, which is always fun.

And if the girls decided to go down to Fuente Dé to take the cable car up to the Mirador and hike around, they should dress in layers, as it does get very chilly up there, even in the height of the summer. We went up last summer in late July, and I had to buy a sweatshirt up at the gift shop because it was so cold (went up again in Nov. and it was actually much warmer!-just never know...)

And while in Santander, they might enjoy taking the ferry over to the beaches of Pedreña (of Seve Ballesteros fame) and Somo.

We really love Cantabria; it just feels like home-and we're headed back in less than a month!

Hope they have a grand time!
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Again, thank you all so much for the wonderful help you gave. It is absolutely amazing to me what the internet has done for travel! Now I"m curious where you all live. I live in INdiana and my daughter, as I said, is in Chicago. I have put this area on my agenda for the next time we're able to travel to Europe!
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Hi,

I am in NJ. Actually, my son is studying in Chicago. Love that city!

You are so right that the internet has revolutionized how we all travel. A few years ago I was fortunate to travel for the 1st time to Northern Spain. I have Maribel to thank for all her guidance, I don't think I would have thought it was doable if it had not been for her and other Fodor's posters advice.

I hope your daughter has a great trip. That's a great time of the year to go. Maybe you or her can write a little report after she comes back and let us know how it all went.