Planning first trip to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are in the process of planning our first trip to italy. We are planning visiting June 2011. We are thinking about 10 days. I am really wanting to visit Lake Como and the cities around it such as Bellagio and even spend some time in Switzerland around Lucerne. Venice is a must as well. My question is, should we spend time around Lake Como and Switzerland and forego visiting Rome or Florence? Or since this is our vist trip should we visit Venice, Rome, and Florence?

I want to visit Venice regardless. We are not into art, but love history and great food. Any suggestions or experiences are certainly appreciated!

Thanks!
Kerij
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:40 PM

It depends what you are most interested in seeing and doing. You don't need to hit the major cities just because everyone else does. Pick what you like. Just don't try to do too much. Ten days is not a lot of time, so pick 3 locations at most, ideally without long distances betweeen them.

Lake Como is beautiful and a good use of 3 days.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM

None of the places you say you want to go are attractions because of their food. If Venice were like Vercelli -- that is to say, if it was filled with fieleds water and had the best risotto on the planet but otherwise was of minor artistic interest, like Vercelli -- then no one would go to Venice just like no one goes to Vercelli.

That is a very long way of saying that you should do what YOU want to do on your vacation. The fact that you are going to Italy for the first time doesn't mean you should do a bunch of things you don't want to do -- like go to the art capitals of Rome and Florence.

There is history all over Italy. A lot of history is better absorbed reading books while relaxing by a beautiful lake, not marching around old buildings you don't know much about.

You might consider spending enough time in Venice to take a day trip to Verona to see the Roman arena there. It is in better shape than the one in Rome.

For 10 days, with an ambition to also spend time in Switzerland, dividing your time between Venice, Verona and Lago di Como sounds like a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM

I think that Luzern, Lago Como and Venice is a perfect 10 day itinerary. I would fly into Venice and home from either Milan or Zurich. Have fun !
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your feedback. Is there a lot of boutique like shopping around Lake Como? The more I think about it regarding food, I am looking for small cafe areas where we can sit outside and enjoy lunch, coffee, and wine. My husband thinks I am crazy for planning so far in advance, but hey that is how I roll!

Do you all think it is better to rent a car for these areas or to take the train?
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM

The train will suffice for that itinerary.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM

Here are some pics from our last trip to Venice:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4440

And from Lago Como--same trip:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4442
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Bob, your photos are fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing them. Do you mind sharing with me a hotel recommendation in Venice and around Lake Como? I know there are so many options.

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
LJ

kerij: just came back from this area of France and wanted to add my support of the flying into Toulouse idea. We did and were very pleased that we did so as rental cars are easily available there. But the added benefit is that central ville Toulouse itself has great charm.

We stayed, very inexpensively at this hotel in the center of town. Rates included a very good breakfast and really caring service. Nearby restaurants are good and plentiful.

www.hotel-albert1.com
8 Rue Rivals
31000 Toulouse, France
05 61 21 17 91
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM

Of course, it depends on your price range:
For Bellagio, look at Hotel Florence, Belvedere, and La Limonera apts.

In Venice, look at La Calcina and Corte 1321
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
FWT

We just got back from a 10 day trip to Rome, Florence, and Venice and had a blast. Having said that don't pick too many places to go to, I think we should have just done two of the cities because there is so much to do and see. Just sitting to eat in an outside cafe can take a couple of hours. Driving can be confusing I think especially if you are going for the first time. The trains are well run. I actually don't think you are crazy for planning so far in advance. Have a blast we did.