Notices

Suggestions for First Trip to Italy

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for First Trip to Italy

We are leaving on Oct. 19 to Rome and returning Oct 30 from Milan. I want to have a nice combination of sightseeing and a relaxing vacation. I was thinking of 3 days in Rome, maybe going up to Florence and touring the Tuscany region for about 4 days and then to Lake Como to end up the trip.

What does that sound like? Am I spending the right amount of time in those locations? Is there something or someplace else I should really make time for?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM

I would really make time for Venice, if necessary instead of Lake Como. Don't get me wrong, Lake Como is lovely and a nice place to visit, but not unlike other lakes. But Venice is unique. There is no place like it in the world and it is unforgettable.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:07 PM
ira

Hi tm,

With 9 nights, I suggest 3 in Venice rather than Lake Como in mid-late Oct.

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Another vote to include Venice.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I agree with Venice. It's just magical and breath-taking. There is noting like it. You wouldn't be sorry if you go.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:49 PM

3 days in Rome, 2 in Florence ( This is a must!) a day to drive down and back to Sienna then drive to Abano Terme and book yourself into a spa hotel.( Hotel Metropole) You can then take a 30 minute bus ride to spend a day in Venice. Next drive to Lake Como and stay at the Hotel Flori with a ferry trip to beautiful Bellagio. The lake and scenery are magnificent.This is a bit of a rush but we have done it and it is quite doable. I envy you!
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM

That is an absolutely great time to see beautiful fall colors around Lake Garda. Can you rent a car? Don't miss Venice but from there take a few days and visit Verona and then drive around Lake Garda. That time of year is quiet, relaxing and drop dead gorgeous. Here are some photos from my trip in early November 2003 http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahotpoet/my_photos
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Definitely Venice over Como. October 1 is the end of the season in the smaller towns on Lake Como and the weather will be cold and possibly rainy. The beauty of the lakes lies in walking around and seeing the gardens; outdoor activities.

As lovely as the lakes are, Venice is spectacular with much more to see and do than the Lakes. And lots of indoor activites (museums, churches). Although Venice is a city it's a relaxing one. No noise from motorcycles like you have in Rome and Florence. The pace is more like a village than a city.

With only 9 days I would limit the trip to Rome and Venice. Your first day will be spent getting from the airport to hotel and recovering from jet lag (unless you're coming from another European country). Travel between Rome and Venice is a half day. So that's only 7.5 sightseeing days. Try to get a flight from Venice to Milan for the return home or try to change your tickets.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:14 PM

I liked your original plan, and I was going to be the dissenting voice telling you to leave Venice for another trip. However, after focusing on your dates, I recommend dropping Lake Como. Just about everything in Bellagio and Varenna in the mid-lake area will be closed by the last days of October. (Oct. 1st is not the end of the season on Como, but most hotels in Bellagio/Varenna are closed by the 2nd or 3rd weekend.) Sure, you could stay in Menaggio or the town of Como, but it would be a very compromised visit to a beautiful place.

Can you change your departing flight to Venice?