Planning first time trip

Search

Planning first time trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning first time trip

We have never traveled Europe before so this is quite the experience of a lifetime! Four adults intend to leave Denver (so far $936 is best airfair I can find) in early May. First stop is Prague for 3 days. Then to Vlcek Germany to stay with friends for a week. Then Venice for 3-4 days (would train be best?)and from there to Villars Switzerland for a week in a condo. Final stop is Geneva for 2-3 days and back to Denver in early June. Any ideas - pro/con for itinerary, ideas for places to stay in Venice and Geneva, things to do etc. would be appreciated.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM
tod

The trip sounds fantastic!
I think the train would be the best option - check out the German & Swiss trains for the best rates.
You can book online.
I think I will be in Denver next Summer to visit friends in Fort Collins!
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM

in Prague:

Itinerary looks perfect!

http://www.7angels.cz/ (even a 1br w/ fold-out couch would be plenty big enough) No better location in Prague - midway between Old Town Square and Charles Bridge.

A train to Venice wopuld be ideal. The four of you could share a sleep compartment so no strangers in your room.

Look also for a 2br apt in Venice. Much cheaper than tiny hotel rooms and you'll save a fortune being able to breakfast and occasional other meal in. Try VRBO.

Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM

marking
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Just to clarify - in Prague at 7 Angels you'll want the "Apt" not double or double superior.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM

I spent a week in Vilcek, Germany in the early 1990's (nephew was stationed there in the Army). Other than a great museum on the base and a good Greek resto, there really weren't any interesting towns in the area.

For that reason, I'd probably base there for the Prague portion and get your friends who live there to go to Prague for a couple of the "one week in Vilcek" days. My point is that you could use the 3 days originally scheduled for Prague in Venice (and see some area towns around Venice), rather than a whole week in Vilcek.

You will LOVE Venice, I'm sure! And I have Praque on my short list.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

The train time schedules seem a bit confusing - any idea how long the trip Germany/Venice might be? We are thinking of rail passes since that is how we plan to travel or are individual tickets a better deal?
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM

The train journey from Nurnburg to Venice (Venise) ranges from 10.5 to 15.5 hours, depending on your route/ticket.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Talking about overnight trains - then Nuremburg to Venice would be a good one to hop (actually from Munich to Venice). Seems you are a novice as to European trains - i always refer two good sites that give lots of objective useful info like answers to questions you have here - www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com both have lots of explanatory info about using trains - rail travel times, etc. The former has on it the free European Planning & Rail Guide to download and it's a good primer for anyone planning a European rail trip. www.seat61.com is a third site with lots of neat info.