Places to see in Germany

Search

Places to see in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to see in Germany

I am flying next July from seattle to Berlin. We will be spending 7 days in germany before heading to amsterdam. We will be using rail passes. I was looking for suggestions on some places over in Germany to visit. We will be taking the train from berlin to Munich and would love to see some places on the way. We will be spending 2 nights in Berlin and 2 nights in Munich. We have 3 other nights that are still open.
Thank you
niki
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 02:57 PM
yk

have you been to Berlin and Munich before? If you haven't, 7 days is not even enough for those 2 cities. In fact, I think 7 days is perfect to stay in Berlin alone with 1 or 2 day trips.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I would strongly recommend to spend more time in Berlin and to ride directly from Berlin to München.

Berlin is a very fascinating city. It is worth a couple of days. From Berlin you can make a daytrip to Potsdam (26min by train).

Two nights in Berlin is way too short!!!

(I could recommend some stops between Berlin and München, but better take the time to explore Berlin. If you have 7 days for Germany, I would suggest 3 days for Berlin, 1 day for travelling from Berlin to München, and 3 days for München.)
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM
LN

Berlin and Munchen are really wonderful, lively cities and need a bit more time than 2 nites each. If you could give each at least 4 or 5 days you'd be very pleased later as you'd have an opportunity to really view each.

If not, then I'd split my time equally between the cities and fly from Berlin to Munchen so that you'll not spend so much time on the train.

Have a wonderful visit!!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM

I'm with the rest of the crew - why use rail passes when there is more than enough to see and do in Berlin and Munich in 7 days?

If you have to see those two cities, plan 3 days in one and 4 in the other and take a quick cheap flight between the two.

I bet you can take a one way from Berlin to Munich and from Munich to Amsterdam for less than your rail pass.

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 06:43 AM
ira

Hi N,

When are you going?

You might want to spend your time only in Berlin and Munich.

Before buying a railpass, I suggest entering your itinerary at www.railsaver.com.

Also check www.whichbudget.com for discount airfare.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 08:44 AM

the trip by rail between Berlin and Munich is at least 6 hours if not more and IMO if you take the most direct route not that scenic unless you were to stop and explore a town/city of two in between.

You can check on www.skyscanner.net for possible budget flights and I am assuming AirBerlin flies that route. Be very aware of checked luggage restrictions.

I am sorry we didn't hear from you sooner since a possibly more rail-efficient itinerary would be to start OUT in Munich, then go to berlin, and then take the 5 hr plus rail ride to A-dam or try to get another budget flight.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM

You can take a night train from Berlin to Munich, as well as a night train from Munich to Amsterdam. I enjoy the night trains, but not everybody does. You can usually get better rates flying from Berlin to Munich than using the train.

As with the other posters, I would spend my time between Berlin and Munich. You can find plenty of things to see using Munich as your base - Salzburg, Dachau, Fussen, to name a few.

If you must visit something in between Berlin and Munich, then maybe a day in Wurzburg, Rothenburg, or Bamberg.