Extra days in East germany business trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to have 4 extra days to spend in Germany following a business engagement in Jena. I am at a loss of how to plan those days and where to have as a home base. I am interested in hitting some of the classical music concerts but most importantly I would like to see both old and new east germany. My departing flight leaves in the morning from Leipzig/Halle airport. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:44 AM
J62

Berlin (90min)and Dresden (70min) are both very easy to get to from Leipzig by train or car.

They are very different cities, but both offer a good glimpse of the new Eastern Germany. Berlin is a huge, word capital with a bit of everything. Dresden is compact.

I would recommend 2 nights in Berlin and 2 nights in Dresden. You could easily spend 4 great days in Berlin, but since you are so close I recommend you not miss Dresden.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Weimer is close to Jena (15 miles) and is something of a pilgrimage site for Germans. It would provide a startling contrast of the glories of the Enlightenment with the horrors of Nazi brutality (Buchenwald concentration camp). I would agree with J62 that Dresden is a must see.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Berlin might be the best, and if you like museums, it can take up your four days. BerlinWalks is an excellent guidebook that will take you through the old and the new Berlin, both east and west. But Dresden is also a good choice.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Hi
We recently returned from Berlin and Dresden. Highly recommend both, 2 days in each. In berlin, you could spend all 4 days, but 2 days each will work out fine. In dresden we stayed at the Radison SAS, great location in the center.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM

I second the suggestions of Dresden (incl. the environs, like the Bastei and Konigstein castle) and Weimar.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM

You're not going to see much of the "old" East Germany if you go to the big cities. I would recommend Weimar & Erfurt, which are nearby, and the towns in the Harz mountains, like Quedlinburg and Wernigerode. Charming little towns with lots of half-timbered houses and a nice atmosphere. Most everything has been re-built though, and the towns are shiny and new (and nicer than in the West).