Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Places on the Amalfi Coast that are not "touristy"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for places between Sorrento and Salerno (along the Amalfi Coast) that are nice and not very "touristy". My base will be in Atrani for 4 nights in June and we will be relying on Public Transport and taxis (if required). We enjoy hiking, swimming and places that are quaint or different. Not really into the shopping scence we much prefer nature and it's natural beauty. Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Atrani is right around the corner from Amalfi and that whole strip of land over the water and along the coast will be chocked full of tourists in June.

The further you head towards Salerno the less tourists you will find. Also the further you hike inland and on the hills the less tourists you will run across.

June is their high season. Get the Sunflower walking tours guides and take to the hills!

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM

>>not very "touristy".<<

Massa Lubrense - hike to the end of Punta Campanella and reach out and (almost) touch Capri.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM

If you can make your way to the town of Nerano on the Sorrentine Penninsula and pick up a hiking map (probably available in the tourist offices at Sant'agata and or Termini, maybe also in Nerano, you will find a wonderful and not heavily used hiking trail going from Nerano down and across the slopes to Baia Jeranto. This is a fairly vigorous hike, which ends on a beautiful and isolated beach "Capitello" in a little bay where the swimming is undisturbed and the water clean. It will take a day to get there, be there, and return.
Boats (with their loads of tourists) are not commonly seen there. It would be a day of it, and you must bring water (and some food-pleeese don't leave trash behind though!). The last bit is a steep climb down a rocky, crevaced path, but OH, so worth the effort! This is one out of the way spot I don't mind posting on Fodor's, because its' natural remoteness prevents it from getting overrun!
I don't know about "quaint" but it's a lovely, natural place.

There is a bus that connects to the Sorrentine Penninsula that runs along the Amalfi coast- ask in Atrani. Good luck if this is a path you end up taking...have a good time!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, little bit of research for me as I haven't heard of Massa Lubrense or Nerano.

Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Research is always fun, Mollyjones.
You may not have heard of these places for the very reason that they are not as "touristy" as others in that area!
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM

I bought a Sunflower Landscapes Guide: Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast three or four years ago.
It has walks, picnics and car routes along the Amalfi Coast.
The walk segment information is fairly extensive. There is information also on the Altrani area.
You may find this guide helpful. I ordered it from Amazon.UK, I believe.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 02:34 PM

MollyJones, we loved Massa Lubrense. We are walkers, not hikers but we think it is a beautiful area to explore no matter how you do it! This website might be helpful to you:

http://www.giovis.com/Egiovis.htm

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Marianna, great website for descriptive walks on the amalfi, thanks so much

Bellastar
"You may not have heard of these places for the very reason that they are not as "touristy" as others in that area" indeed i believe this to be true ... there are plenty of treasures out there. Cheers
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:12 AM

From Ravello just venture across the Dragone valley to the town of Scala and the hamlets of Minuta and Pontone.Visit these places with the aid of the Sunflower Guidebook mentioned above and it makes for an interesting non-touristy day bumping into local farmers and smallholders (and the odd mule)and walking on the original steps all the way down to Amalfi
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:54 AM
ABENDIGO

Does the "Sunflower" bookguide have tips/walks on what to visit in the actual towns or only information/walks around the towns? Thanks!

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:22 AM

The Sunflower book is mainly a hiking book from Town to Town or village to village but contains useful tourist info including maps and bus times etc.