Hiking & Snorkeling on the Amalfi Coast?

Jul 26th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Nia

Hiking & Snorkeling on the Amalfi Coast?

Hi!

I am planning my honeymoon, and have settled on Positano to base ourself in while on the Amalfi Coast for a week (I think we will be staying at Le Sirenuse).

We are outdoors people, and are wondering what scenic hiking trails there are, as I am sure there must be many.

Also, where are the best areas to snorkel on the Amalfi Coast? Any opportunities to snorkel with (wild) dolphins or anything like that?

Lastly, I would love to know what are the can't miss outdoor and nature activities that we should make part of our trip while there?

Thanks SO much for your help!!

Jul 26th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Diane

I'm not sure I'd expect much snorkeling around the Amalfi Coast(at least not like in Cozumel or the Caribbean), however there are wonderful hiking trails between many of the towns. Go spend a couple of hours at a good bookstore and look for books on the Amalfi Coast in the travel section. Actually, the people at La Sirenuse should probably be able to help you. The area is so unique you are bound to enjoy it. Remember, this has been a tourist destination for hundreds (if not a couple thousand) of years. Rugged and beautiful, yes. Pristine and untouched? hahahaha. No. But you will be amazed. Don't do a canned day-trip to Capri -- you will be very disappointed. Maybe visiting Ischia is a better idea, but I can't advise you on that as I've not been there. Keep a very open mind and relax and enjoy your time in a spectacular place. What time of year will you be there?

Jul 26th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Nia

Hi Diane!

Thank you! We will be there June 18-25, 2003.

I am SOOO excited. Is the Emerald Grotto worth visiting? Also, are there any particular hikes or walks that you like the best, and find the most scenic?

Thanks again!

Jul 26th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Sherry

Hi Nia. You might want to look for the book"Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast" by Julian Tippett. It is a sunflower book. www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk.
This book has all kinds of walks from the six major tourist centers on the Almafi Coast.
It has driving tours also.

Jul 27th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Nia

Hi Sherry -

Thanks for that info. I am going to and get it today!

Jul 28th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Linda

Hi Nia,

I just wnated to second the recommendation on the sunflower Press book. It had been recommended ot us by a friend and we used it on our honeymoon lat September in Positano. We did three different hikes and they were all spectacular! Definitley one of the highlights of our trip. I'd be glad to give you more details on the particular hikes if you like. Also, we rented kayaks on the beach in Positano which was also a great way to spend half a day exploring the coast. As you can guess, we are very much outdoors people as well. Hope you enjoy your honeymoon!

Jul 28th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Nia

Hi Linda!

Thank you so much for your help. You sound like you had a wonderful time.

I would love to hear about the hikes that you did.

We will definitely be renting kayaks.

Thank you for the nice wishes also!

Jul 29th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Linda

Hi Nia,
Here are the 3 hikes that we did. If yo don't have the book yet (it is kind of hard to find as it is published in the UK) these itineraries will make much more sense when you can see the maps in the book. Any ways, hike 1 was in Positano where we took a very short bus ride frm the middle of town up to the very small town of Monte Pertuso which is right above Positano. We started the hike here and did Segment 22 (from the Positano map) up to Caserma Forestale. The views from up here are absolutely breathtaking and no words can describe it! You will understand if you do it! From here, we took Segments 23 (which goes along a ridge) and then 24 which brings you all the way back to town. Hike 2 started right from downtown Positano and goes right up to the samll town of Nocelle by way of Segment 21. The views going up and at the top are again amazing. From Nocelle,we took Segment 20, across to Monte Pertuso and then Segment 19 back to town. Oour third hike was actually from Ravello (we spent three days there as well and we HIGHLY recommend it as well!) which is way up, down to the town of Minori on the coast. This trip we took Segment 17 down and Segment 5 up (from the Ravello/Amalfi map). once again, this hike offered amazing views all the way up and down. I hope that this gives you some good ideas and of course would be glad to share more thoughts and/pr details about any of the above or Positan0/Ravello in general.

Take care,
Linda

Jul 29th, 2002, 12:51 PM
di

Thanks. I'm going to POsitano on my honeymoon in one month and appreciate this recommendation. FYI: I just bought the book on amazon.co.uk. It's $20 (incl. shipping to the USA).