Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast- place to picnic or eat with a view

Old Mar 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a spot in Ravello or Amalfi where we can eat with a view? We would like to find a local market or deli and assemble a picnic to take along and eat as we explore the two towns.

I was originally hoping to do this at Villa Cimbrone, however, they do not allow this in the gardens. Can anyone familiar with these two towns provide a good spot? Any recommendations for local spots to pickup the food items???

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM

well for a view that kills you can take the trail down to the sea from Ravello that zigzags thru the vineyards with smashing views over the coast for miles - this is not the main footpath up to Ravello from Amalfi and may not be well marked but I took it and there were plenty on nice places to sit and picnic without anyone around much - a neat path anyway - see the locals tending the vines, etc. You can just take it a short way down so the climb back up ain't so strenuous after perhaps a wee bit of local vino - actually could purchase when I was there right from the vintners.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

This sounds great. Where is the trail beginning located near? About how long was the trail?? Thank you!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 12:34 PM

Well this was several years ago so am hazy but I it was not hard for me to find - when you are at the overlook just look at the vineyards and there is a path for workers and equipment that zigzags down - it did not take me longer than an hour or so to descend. If memory serves me right (and that if a big IF in my case!) it would be on the east side of Ravello and the main trail with staircases from Amalfi (also a sweet sweet trail but I do not think with coastal views) comes in on the west side of Ravello. You should not have any problem finding it.