Pisa for dinner?

Feb 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Pisa for dinner?

Looking for recommendations for a trattoria for a solo dinner. Prefer a small family style/ communal tables kind of place in the centro area, either side of the river. Prefer not fish/seafood oriented. All suggestions welcome.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Anyone???
Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:43 AM

I've enjoyed many meals in Pisa over the years, often solo, but can't tell you names of any places. I usually just walk around, stopping to look at menus posted in the windows, checking out the clientele, following my nose. There are lots of restaurants in the area between the train station/bus station - river - Piazza dei Miracoli.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:28 AM

I don't take names, ranks and serial numbers of restaurants either, I eat, enjoy, pay, and move on. The closest I can come to pinpointing a restaurant where I had lunch in Pisa is this:

Walk north along the Borgo Stretto from Ponte di Mezzo and look for a sign on the wall, on the right, on the corner where a small street (natch - they are all small streets right there) goes off to the right (east). It was a sign with the restaurant name and an arrow - we followed it.

The restaurant in question was down a bit, maybe 50 yards, where the street forked, forming a bit of a piazza.

From looking at a map right now, it could have been the corner of Via Mercanti and Via Martellacci.

But there are plenty of nice non-descript places where you get a decent meal - look at the menu posted outside, peer inside as you do that, and take your chances.

Bon appetito.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. That's exactly how I normally make my dining choices in Italy. Thought I'd ask for specifics this time. Dalai, I'll keep an eye out for a place that fits your description.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM

You're welcome, good luck, and please make my previous typo into the correct Buon Appetito!
Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM

It has been about 3 years since I ate there, but I had an excellent meal at this restaurant in Pisa http://www.ilcampano.com/

It seemed to be exactly what you are after - smallish, family run (it looked to us as though Dad was looking after the till and wine, Mother was cooking, and the daughters were waiting tables.

It is quite near the river (there is a map on the website + menu). It is close to the market, and doesn't look like much from outside - but inside it was fine.
Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

That place looks great, Willit. Thanks for the link.