Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Piemonte, Liguria or Emilia-Romagna in Sept?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to northern Italy in September, flying in and out of Milan. I've been reading all of the wonderful posts and trip reports about all 3 regions and am now thoroughly confused about where I should go.

Does anyone have a view on which would be best in September? I may also tack on a couple of days in Como / Bellagio, so I will have about 7-8 days to travel around. I am up for taking in some sights, but mostly interested in eating and drinking as well as possible, going to markets, walking around small towns, and seeing pretty countryside.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM
jgg

hmmm....three of my favorite places. Personally, I would skip Como/Bellagio and do half in Piemonte and the other half in Liguria. We stayed at a wonderful place in Acqui Terme in Piemonte called Baur B&B (www.baurbb.com) - still our favorite place in Europe. We also stayed in Lerici in Liguria - great little town. Here is a link to my trip report: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-and-rome.cfm
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi jgg - thank you so much for your recommendation and the link to your trip report. I think we may take follow your lead. I've just booked Baur B&B. Now I'm looking for a place in Liguria. I'm not sure we really want to be in a place that's very crowded -- somewhere a bit more quiet would probably be our preference. Do you remember seeing anywhere like that on your travels? Also, do you think it's enough time to spend 4 days in Liguria and 4 in Piemonte? I'm starting to think that maybe that's not enough time.... I guess I could always go back another time!

Thanks again!
FG
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM

We stayed in a wonderful spot in Camogli-Villa Rosmarino. Really liked the town and great location for visiting other coastal towns. 2 years ago we stayed at La Torreta in Manarola in the Cinque Terre. Loved it!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Website for villa seems to be down, here is trip advisor info on hotel.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_Riviera.html
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Macdogmom - Villa Rosmarino looks wonderful, but it looks like it's sold out. I will look into La Torreta. I didn't realize how busy it would be in Liguria in September! Thanks so much for your recommendations!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
jgg

I actually think that the four nights in each should be good. We did 5 in Acqui and 4 in Liguria so really only one less.
I haven't stayed here but this is one of the places that Megan rents in Lerici (you read about her in the trip report). This is the only one that has a 4 night min. - the others seem to require a week stay. It is located above Lerici so definitely a bit out of the way. Check it out - if it doesn't work, Megan might be able to recommend something else.
http://www.bellavitaitalia2.com/Rent...Rocchetta.html

BTW, are you spending anytime in Milan on your way in or out? We just spent two nights in Milan before flying home from a trip last month and found THE perfect apt!!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 09:29 PM
jgg

Oh, and glad you booked Baur B&B - you will not be disappointed!!
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 03:33 AM

Maybe this one; I've not stayed there but I've seen it and the location is great:

http://www.locandaitremerli.com/

Or this; a few minutes walk to town:

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-ital...30&IDregione=8
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

jgg -- thanks for the recommendations - I'm really looking forward to staying at Baur B&B!

ekscrunchy -- thanks so much for your recommendations as well. I'm completely hooked on your trip reports -- they are amazing. Thank you!

I have 2 nights at the end - I can either stay in Turin one night and Milan the other, or 2 nights in Milan. I'm thinking of the latter - I feel like I should check out the city since I'll be there.... But I'm just getting to the part of ekscrunchy's trip report where she goes to Turin, so maybe I'll change my mind!
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:51 AM

I am glad you are enjoying! Happy to be of some help..
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Looks like I'm going to be in Liguria for a couple of days on my own before the beginning of my Piedmont trip.

Any views on a good hotel / good restaurants for a lone traveler?

EKS - if you are reading - from your Liguria report, it sounds like you would recommend GH Miramare for a single over Cenobio. Am I correct in making that assumption? Do you think I could still see Camoglie if I'm staying in Santa Margherita? They seem pretty close to each other.

Has anyone heard anything about La Locanda di Colombo in Santa Margherita? It gets great reviews on Trip Advisor, but it's not near the ocean.

Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 02:53 AM

Yes, my single at the GH Miramare was far, far better than the fairly terrible single that I had at the Cenobio in Camogli. I would rate the Cenobio single as a two-star and the Miramare single (probably just a double that they gave to me for single use) as a 5-star room. To be fair, however, it is possible that I would have been upgraded in Camogli, especially if I had offered to pay a bit more.

You can easily see Camogli from SML, or vice versa. The train ride is about 10 minutes. There may also be buses.

So if you are choosing on the basis of hotel, and those are your options, I would choose SML, although the actual town of Camogli is more charming. Also, the pool at the Miramare is heated, which will be important if you plan to swim. You will have NO problem being alone for a few days, I promise!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, EKS!