Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you recommend? stay in Paris or Disneyland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in London for a few days and am thinking of arriving in Paris from London on a Sunday and departing Tuesday or Wednesday back to USA.. Have never been to Paris before. I have no big interest to spend hours in a museum with a 4 year old. Just see general sites, walk around, browse shopping and eat. Will be traveling as 2 adults and 1 four year old girl. I have points to stay at a nice hotel in Paris and wonder if I should take Eurostar from London to paris, hang out a bit and take a 1 day trip to Disneyland via the train or would it be best to spend the night at Disney? I do not want to be taking trains too late at night with a kid. Is the train station very close to Disneyland?

Other option is to take eurostar from london to disneyland and stay 2 nights there.

Just thought staying in Paris would save expense of hotel since I have points for a hotel there.

thanks. I appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM

advice ? you probably won't like this.

Don't go to Disney.

I know you have a 4yo... there are so many fun things to do with kids that don't involve Disney.

- go for a Fat Tire Bike Tour. She can ride a trike tandem behind you. Very fun!!

- make it a mission to find parks. (one near the Eiffel Tower, a few in the Marais, one near the Fat Tire Bike Tour office, um, those are just off the top of my head).

- take the metro and go to Jardin d'Acclimation. My kids loved it! Take the little train from the metro into the park... go in the Hall of Mirrors, drive the little cars, go on the roller coasters. heck of a lot cheaper than Disney and more age appropriate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jardin_d'Acclimatation

- pick a museum and go on a scavenger hunt. Don't make it long... maybe 30-45 minutes ? Make a list of things you will find at any museum and find them (ie. a woman with a pretty necklace, kids playing, a dog, a horse, an ocean view, etc.) Or maybe get a Louvre for kids book and try to find the 3 favorite things in the book.

Do you even need to go to Paris ? Can you just stay in London ? There are many fun things for kids to do there...

Logistics: here is information
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guidebook/p...agic/eurostar/
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight. my husband is not really for the disney thing either. Perhaps when she's older, she would be able to make use of it and actually remember.

I don't need to go to Paris, but was just thinking of adding it on this trip since we've been to london quite a few times.

thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM

I would never say no to Paris, but I'm not a Disney fan. Also, you said it yourself, once your daughter is older she will be better able to enjoy it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM

How about your husband takes the kid for the day and you hop the Eurostar to Paris?
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM

I took my daughter to DLP when she was only 4, she had a wonderful time. Somehow I simply cannot believe that she could have enjoyed herself more if she were 6 or even 10. How do people really know that, that their children are too young for Disney? Why don´t you just ask her - Fat Tire Tour or Disneyland Paris?

I remember my first trip to Disneyland quite vividly. It was the summer of 1955 and the park had just opened - in Anaheim. I remember Main Street, the castle (I remember wanting to go inside but unfortunately there was no inside), the steamboat ride, and the jungle ride only then it really wasn´t yet a jungle - it was rather barren actually. But somehow our boat made it under this huge waterfall and our guide shot a crocodile. It was all quite amazing. I was 4 years old.

People do not go to Disney because of its history or cultural significance. Nor do they really go because they are fans or not. People go to Disney for their children´s sake. I will not promise that she will remember your taking her there 50+ years from now, but she will have the time of her life. And seeing her face light up as she enters Main Street for the first time will be your reward.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you can (and maybe should) do Disney. But definitely <u>do not stay</u> there over night. Absolutely no reason/need to. It is smaller than other Disney parks and has fewer rides/attractions. You won't be there late at night (and even IF you were, why would it be a bad idea to take a late train back to the city??)

I've been to Disney Paris once - would not be my choice for a first - or fourth - visit. But I traveled w/ a disney fanatic friend (he's been to every disney park worldwide) and it was one of the few things he REALLY wanted to do (the others Chartres and the opera - go figure ) .

I actually enjoyed it -- but it wasn't a highlight for me. W/ a 4 yo I might do it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your insight everyone.

Jansj, the reason why i thought it would be best to stay over night is because we would want to attend the night parade. I did not think it was wise to take the train back to hotel in paris at night.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 07:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I did not think it was wise to take the train back to hotel in paris at night.</i>"

Why not?? <u>Totally</u> safe. (plus, most every other family staying for the parade will be on the same train)
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM

Your daughter might like the doll museum in Paris.

http://www.museedelapoupeeparis.com/