pickpockets in SW Ireland??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been to Paris, Rome etc. many times, and are very aware of pickpocket problems in these areas, however I have never read anything about these problems for SW Ireland. We're flying into Shannon and driving to Cashel, then Kinsale then Killarney to Dingle and back to Shannon-a total of 9 nights. Should we use our money belt, or are these areas exempt from big city PP scams? Thanks for your input. Helaine
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:04 PM

"Should we use our money belt"

I live in London, and have travelled Europe most extensively, I'd never dream of using any security devices, it's ridiculous, I've never had any trouble.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 05:34 AM

I was wondering the same thing as the OP and found this REALLY OLD thread. Had to laugh to see using "money belts" called "ridiculous". I guess all those people who have been pickpocketed are what? delusional?

In any case, back to the original question. We will be in SW Ireland in September. Do we really need NO security devices???
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 05:47 AM

Are you joking Kristine? Where do you live? Do people regularly wear money belts there?

I am leaving for Ireland in a couple of weeks, followed by England, no money belts are planned or any other "security" devices except my common sense.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 06:13 AM

'Security devices' needed for visiting rural Ireland? Really??

I'm with m-kingdom on this one.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Do I wear a moneybelt in southern Michigan. No. Are there pickpockets here? No.

Are there pickpockets in London, Paris, Barcelona, Prague? Yes!

So the only real question here is are there pickpockets in Galway, Killarney, Cork?

If you have ever been pickpocketed, I think you would not call moneybelts "ridiculous".
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Agree - see no need for moneybelts or neck pouches or pinning things to your bra.

Do you wander around at home like this?

Have lived my entire adult life n NYC and traveled to europe more than a hundred times and have never had any sort of pickpocket issue/problem. I'm not saying they don't exist - they certainly do.

But being aware is the safety. Not hanging all sorts of weird things all over your body. Do you think Parisians wear money belts all the time??? Or Romans? Or New Yorkers.

And one of the funniest things I ever saw was a very large woman of a certain age who didn't get the concept pulling up her tee shirt and fishing around inside her stretch pants to pull out some sort of wallet to get the money to pay for gelato for her family on a street in Rome. The whole idea! Ick!
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Pickpockets in Ireland are called bartenders. I walk in loaded with money and leave loaded with no money.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 04:16 PM

nytraveler, I saw something similar on a man in Capri last fall, only he was wearing the neck pouch thingy on the OUTSIDE of his shirt like a necklace or something, with money and credit cards sticking out the top.There is no helping some people. ( and double ick on your story, that is so gross)

Okay Kristine, to seriously answer your question I highly doubt you will encounter any pickpockets in Galway, Killarney or Cork. I have never read any reports of such and just to be sure I asked two Irish friends and they said it wasn't something they had ever heard of there.

If I do encounter any pickpockets in three weeks when I am there, or if I hear of such a thing, I will post a warning here for you Kristine, and you can get your money belt ready.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 04:18 PM

I have a really nice money belt that I wore this last trip to Italy. I never like to leave a lot of cash in my room and it is like my bank. I needed to wear a belt and it worked. I never pulled it out in a store because I had money in my purse but just be aware of your surroundings. I live in central Fl and they don't pick pocket you here they just shoot and rob you. I have witnessed pick pockets in Dublin but no other place in Ireland.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 05:30 AM

Thank you to those who took my request seriously.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 05:56 AM

The places that you are hitting are small towns - especially by American standards - Cashel, for example, is a very sleepy town with a population of about 7,000. Having been there last Friday, it's kind of hilarious trying to visualise gangs of pickpockets waiting to jump on unsuspecting tourists.

However, having said that, if you habitually wear a money belt when you travel in the States, then by all means do so when you visit us - it will make you feel more secure and make your holiday a happier one (do remember also to lock your luggage and any other valuables in the boot of your car when you park it).
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 06:15 AM

Are there pick pockets in Ireland - yes of course there are. Anywhere in the world there is tourism there are those that will take advantage. Just be aware and use common sense!
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 05:15 AM

If not using a money belt....where do you safely keep passports and credit cards
thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 05:58 AM

I used to make my husband wear a money belt, it seemed to be the "in" thing in the 80's. But he soon rebelled. We keep a photocopy of our vital info in our locked luggage or in hotel safe. I carry passports, one debit card, and extra cash in purse and just pay attention when we are in crowds. My husband carries one debit card (different from mine), one credit card, his drivers plus that day's cash. So far we've been lucky. The only time we were worried was in Donegal when my husband gave some coins to a a young woman with a baby, she was begging, and he was instantly swarmed by a group of travellers. He hung on tight to his wallet and kept on walking. That was 20 years ago. Just be alert and yo'll be fine.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:06 AM

I think that it is easy to say "be aware, be careful, pay attention" but it is harder to do these things on a 24/7 basis when you may be jet-lagged, you are undoubtedly in unfamiliar surroundings, and the pickpockets are pros at distracting you by creating some sort of surprising event that you immediately turn your attention to.

It does sound like SW Ireland is a much safer place than some other places in Europe, but I'm still for keeping passports, extra case, and extra credit/debit cards in a moneybelt.

I have been pickpocketed and it is not a pleasant experience. Fortunately I didn't lost very much, but it still definitely ruined a part of one day when I had to call credit card companies and close cards and then not have those cards anymore on the trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 05:48 PM

When you say money belt I was thinking of mine which looks like a belt,leather and very nice. I can only fold bills into it. We always rent apartments and this last trip to Florence we had a wall safe for passports and small items. We don't often have that. I do keep things in a hidden compartment in my suitcase and use tiny zip ties so know if anyone tampered with my suitcase. I trust no one in hotels. We had a room robbed in Dublin soon after check in once. No other problems in Ireland but try to be smart.