3 Norway
4 Luxembourg
5 Sweden
6 Australia
7 Iceland
8 Italy
9 Denmark
10 Spain

The US comes in at 13, and the UK at 29.

Of course these ratings are subjective, and what is important to one person may be less so to another.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently religious conflicts aren't that important to people living in BOTH Ireland and the US so I am certain these "ratings" are VERY "subjective."
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:00 AM

I saw this in the paper yesterday. A lot is based on how people feel about their situation not just scientific demographics. It cheered me up when I read it as my job is crap and its raining...but hey I live in a good place!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:13 AM

Topman, what religious conflicts do you believe exist in the US?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Egg

Simon Schama (historian) says that the US is divided between the Worldly and the Godly.
As for Ireland, it's a wonderful country so long as you are white.

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:32 AM

That is interesting. Why is Denmark ranked so low? US is not listed there which doesn't surprise me but what does is the absence of Canada!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:52 AM

So who do we believe today.......? The United Nations has this list 1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. The Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States
9. Japan
10. Ireland
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Egg,

Give me a break that was a very ignorant thing to say. Cop on to yourself!
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Sorry Siobhan, but I'd have to agree with Egg. Racial intolerance is a growing problem in Ireland, varying from "why don't they shag off back to where they came from" to verbal and physical attacks.
As for Ireland being rated number 1.... I might actually agree with it if I was able to afford to buy my own house despite being on an average industrial wage. And if (God forbid) I get seriously ill or attacked by some drunken yob on a Saturday night, well you know the scenario there - a trolley on some hospital corridor if you're lucky enough to be taken in. I know Ireland has many positive aspects too but personally I can't for the life of me figure out how we're ranked number 1 in the world. I don't think that research was worth the paper it was written on. Like Travelbeach said - What happened to Canada?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 03:54 AM

Hi Marcus good to hear from you! I think it is being exaggerated by egg and worries me how thigns seem to spiral out of control from one comment. People take it too literally. I lived in the U.S. and Ireland and to be honest I have seen racism more in the U.S. than here. I think a lot of it stems from Drunken yobs (young men)and it is an issue but we are aware of it and trying to do things about making people aware that racism is not good for us. Alcohol and binge drinking is the biggest promblem we have at the moment and this spurs racial attacks I believe.

I don't have a lot of money living here but I feel my quality of life is better than when I was living in the U.S. I am not judged by car or lack of one. I am not defined by my job or where I live. When I go to the states I feel this pressure of material things a lot more.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:06 AM

If people disagree, why do so many people automatically say the other person is ignorant? Is not such a response, ignorant in itself?
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 04:54 AM

I think the key here is that all these are subjective. Some people might hate Ireland and love Canada or Norway etc.
We can all have our own opinion.
I like living in Ireland but also loved living in London. Very few people will tell you they are completly happy with their lot. It's human nature to want what you think others have.

As for Ireland being racist, to a degree but only as much as most other countries in the world. Can someone point out a country without a minority or majority who embarass someone who lives there with some form of xenophobia.
I think though to brand it racist in general is completely OTT. I think Siobhan is right on that.

Last time I looked the perfect country for everyone did not exist. There will always be haves and have nots and marganlised sections of a community. I'm not saying this is good just reality.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:01 AM

Hansikday,

Fair enough but I feel that by generalising he is making a very unfair and innacurate generalisation of Ireland and I have a feeling he does not live there either. I would worry to think that people would assume we are a terribly racist country to visit but it is not so. There are issues but not to the level he implies. A friend will not visit me over here as she lived in Boston all her life and had bad experiences with "Irish" Americans. I had to tell her that Ireland is a different country and the "Irish "americans...were American in culture and opinions and she would not be treated badly here. Someone put that idea in her head and she is convinced I am different but others will treat her badly. This really saddens me.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SiobhanP, I'm unclear why you told the story of your Boston friend who won't visit you in Ireland. Are you saying that one misinformed person planted a bad idea in her head and now she generalizes an entire country of people to be rude and unwelcoming? Well that makes her a bit naive but surely you aren't suggesting that all Bostonians or Americans would be so gullible? That would make you guilty of proliferating generalizations as well.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Well, I dunno but given the disgraceful scenes at the Bernabeu (and I'm not talking Wayne Rooney here!)can we assume all Spanish people are racsists too and that Spain has no right to come in the top ten?

No... fact is there is a rascist minority in EVERY country who can tar the entire population with their demeaning behaviour. That's not to say we should ignore it or not take steps to erradicate it but lets not get hung up about one nation (in this case Eire) as a bat to beat them up with.

For instance - I couldn't believe the posting on here a month ago from an African-american asking about what rascism to expect in London - not because of the question but because much of his post implied a level of rascism in the US that would simply not be tolerated in the UK.

Anyway... the really interesting question is: They considered climate and STILL came up with Eire top?!?!

Dr D.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Dr. do-good wrote: I couldn't believe the posting on here a month ago from an African-american asking about what rascism to expect in London - not because of the question but because much of his post implied a level of rascism in the US that would simply not be tolerated in the UK.

I have lived in both places. IMHO that implication is wrong. Each place has some, but one is not significantly better or worse than the other.