Pickpockets in Spain - Please offer suggestions on protecting belongings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am reading lots of horror stories about pickpockets in Spain. DH and I are going May 2011 and will spend time in Barcelona, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Seville and Granada. We have been to many other countries (South Korea, Italy, Croatia, China, France, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, England) and NEVER have had any sort of experience that would add up to an attempted pickpocket. Just lucky I guess. Spain sounds like a totally different experience. I have read on this website and others the descriptions of the situations that people experienced which resulted in the loss of lots of property, money, tickets, cell phone, cameras, etc. Please share your ideas and suggestions for protecting belongings and being able to carry basics such as a water bottle, camera, money, cellphone, etc. I do use a waist pouch under my clothes for money and passport. Is there some system that is safer for money and passport and what can be used to carry the bulkier items? Thank you.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Don't believe everything you've heard. Spain is no different than any other country when it comes to pickpockets. Just be aware of what you're doing and your surrounding and have a good time.

P.S. Leave your passport in the safe at your hotel if you're worried about something happening to it. All you'll need is a photocopy or your driver's license, if anyone ever asks to see a photo ID.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM

A good number of reports that you have read are not about being pickpocketed but about losing belongings that were left unattended (Yes, they will be stolen almost everywhere) or people who were not alert and watchful.

It is true that Barcelona, esp Las Ramblas, has a higher incidence of petty theft than most p laces in europe - probably because it is packed with tourists often not paying the best attention possible.

If you don't use insecure methods of carrying your belongings (backpacks are fatal, as is a wallet in a man's back pocket) and keep your eye (and hand) ALWAYS on our belongings you are unlikely to have a problem. This means you do not put your purse down anywhere - it stays in your hands or on your lap at all times. And you are always watchful of everything going on in your immediate vicinity.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Kind in mind that only people who have had problems post about the problems. Seldom do you read about people who have had no problems. Over the past 18 years we have spent nearly 300 days in Europe and I have never seen a pickpocket in action or had problems ourselves. I don't think of Spain as being any worse than Paris or Rome or a dozen other places. Our best friends lost everything in the Paris train station. He followed the theory that no one can take anything from my front pocket with me knowing it. He was wrong.

We don't take any exceptional precautions other than everyone has a money belt, no purses, one day bag that at most has a $150 camera. Carry a small cable lock and any time the bag does down the lock goes on so we don't worry keeping track of the bag while in a restaurant. etc.

We were on Las Ramblas last October (third time) and the police were everywhere. Been in and around Spain about four times in the last ten years with no problems.

We always carry our passports, generally in the money belt, as it is the only thing that proves you are legally in the country.

We wear clothing with secure pockets for a credit card and daily cash == everything else in the money belt. And the camera memory cards. We don't wear jewelry, expensive watch, or anything else that might make for a tempting target.

Sometimes you can read too much.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM

I don't know the statistics, but there are places with higher risk than others and I think Spanish cities are one of them (Barcelona, Madrid, etc.) I haven't heard that bout Seville, but who knows. I've been there and no one ever tried it on me but I don't do careless things with my belongings, that's all. It's not difficult for me, but I live in a big city and am always careful with my belongings. I don't use a moneybelt, but if you are seriously worried, maybe you should.

I don't have anything open to the public that they could pickpocket me, or easily reach into my purse, etc., that's all. I'm always aware of my purse, it has a fully closed top (some people actually carry around those satchel purses that are open on top, gads), I never let it dangle down at my side unawares when I am around other people or on public transport, etc. I don't put down my things in public places, stuff like that.

I have a small camera that I don't carry with me that often as I am not a big photographer, but I carry it inside a small cosmetic bag that is zipped shut (for protection) and I have that inside a tote bag or something often. But that tote bag also has a zipper closing, it isn't just like a sack. And I am aware of that, just like my purse.

To be honest, I have never had an experience of anyone attempting to pickpocket me, either, but I've heard from others who have or even seen it from afar. When I was in Madrid, some American tourist at the front desk of the hotel had just been pickpocketed on the metro, and I think I heard of several people there who had.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM

I am glad I read about Termini station in Rome. I would have lost my wallet and perhaps more.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM

well, when you can go to a dinner of foreigners here, expats, and hear a story from almost every single one of them about themselves or guests visiting them.. I suppose it could be considered fairly rampant.. but for good reason..

nothing happens to the thieves AT ALL.

where do you think they like being most?
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The latest post where a lady lost cash, train tickets, etc. she *left her purse unattended* at a restaurant table when she went to the restroom! You need to carefully read the scenarios before freaking out.

As long as your important stuff is kept securely in a money belt under your clothing (passport, cash, credit cards) I think you can carry your water bottle anyway that is comfortable for you. A small daypack, a messenger bag, a tote bag, a large purse and hold it close to your body when you are in crowded places.

(Not always but) MOST often when I read posts of something getting stolen, it was from the person's own carelessness, and they admit that. Setting a purse on the top of luggage in a train station and turning away, having a zippered backpack open on the subway, etc. etc.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Yesterday in a shop (in London) I saw a woman wearing a purse over her shoulder under her open coat. This was clearly her way of dealing with potential robbers. It was so awkward for her to get anything in or out of her purse that she was holding up the line at the cash register and people were looking at her. I felt like she might as well have been wearing a neon sign saying "THIS IS MY PURSE. IT'S RIGHT HERE. I HAVE MONEY IN IT".

One hint I will give, though, is put your change in your wallet at the cash register. Don't stand out on the street doing it. Once, in NYC, I saw a man standing outside a store putting money in his wallet when a guy came running past him really fast, grabbed the wallet and just kept on going.

My SO was almost pickpocketed in Lisbon but caught the guy. He looked like a normal, upscale, middle-class man. Don't expect all thieves to look like bad guys.

I wear an across-the-body purse (my regular purse -- I can't use a shoulder bag), keep it more towards the front of my body, completely zipped up and with the zipper pull towards the front where my hand will naturally fall on it. But this is how I carry my purse at home too.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM

I try and keep valuables and strangers in front of me, especially in hotels, restaurants, on subways and busy pedestrian streets. I don't like people generally, so I notice if anyone is close to me.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Attempts were made to pickpocket us in Granda and Barcelona but we fended them off.We do not wear money belts. Our Barcelona hotel warned us every time we left the building that we needed to be hyper vigilant about our belongings. Be aware of your surroundings and don't let this spoil your trip. We didn't enocunter any problems in the north.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Not a traveling thing, but it always amazes me at home in the supermarket when I see women leaving their purses in shopping carts (and sometimes open purses!) while they turn away to get something.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Buy and use an under the clothing wallet, money belt, etc. Keep in it passport, extra cash, tickets, credit cards. Keep 20-30 Euro out in shirt pocket for small purchases. It can be worn under around the waist or over the shoulder, but under your shirt. Put extra cash, credit cards, etc. in partners under the clothes, money belt, wallet. That way if one is stolen you are not out everything. Some people take lots of cash (Euros) and some take debit cards tied to a checking account and withdraw funds as needed. Your choice.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM

goddesstogo - That always amazes me too.

On my recent trip to Spain, my Spanish colleagues and friends that I was visiting ALL warned me about potential pickpocketing. I think that saying that Spain is no different from any other country when it comes to pickpocketing is just flat out wrong. Pickpocketing is a big deal there. It happens a lot. People do have to be vigilant, and if you are from a place where petty theft like that is uncommon, the awareness is not second nature. You have to actively make yourself aware.

In Madrid, I carried a small handbag which was large enough for a phone, camera, and a couple odds and ends (map, chapstick, etc). I also had money and a credit card and my ID. It was small and worn cross-body so I never had to take it off. If I had a waterbottle, I just carried it in my hand. I left my passport, other cards, and other cash at the hotel. When I was traveling to or from hotels with all of my stuff, I kept my passport etc. in an under-shirt pouch. Very easy.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Might be a problem in the most touristy parts of some of the big cities as almost everywehere. Perhaps be extra cautious not to look too much like a tourist in the otherwise wonderful Barrio Gótico in Barcelona.

Have lived in San Sebastián and visited here and Bilbao almost every year since the late 80's, and have never registered pickpockets as a problem here. Would regard San Sebastián, who I know the best, as exceptionally safe in this regard.

A general rule would be to eat where the locals do, and hang out at night where they go. And use the very affordable taxi service. In Sevilla I can warmly recommend the Arenal and San Lorenzo areas, west and north of the more touristy Santa Cruz area. Great tapas bars and restaurants and excellent atmosphere. A couple of suggestions, Enrique Becerra in the Arenal: http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletap...rique-becerra/

and Eslava and Bodegas dos de Mayo in San Lorenzo:
http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletapas/category/eslava/
http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletap...a-dos-de-mayo/

Sounds like you have planned an excellent round-trip!
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Just use common sense, there's no reason to be overly paranoid.

Keep your wallet in an inside coat pocket or use a money belt. Wear a cross-body handbag and keep your hand/arm on it at all times. Don't leave bags at your feet in a restaurant, or over the backs of chairs. If you're on a bus or subway, don't wear a daybag or knapsack over your shoulder and keep your hands on your bags, if you are carrying them. Keep your antennae up for strange/odd behavior, such as people pressing too close next to you or creating a commotion or scene to distract you.

In all my decades of traveling, the only place I've ever experienced a pickpocket attempt was during our trip to Spain last year -- but it could have happened anywhere. We were taking the Madrid metro to the airport for our departure when we hopped on a train (it was morning rush hour), then got squeezed to the side by two men who were overly friendly to us, even saying hello when was entered the train. My radar went off and I knew immediately what was happening.

We were able to calmly scoot away from them toward the inside of the car, but one of them already had his fingers down my beau's front pocket. My beau just grabbed his hand and moved it away without creating a scene.

Lucky for us, we had nothing of value in outside pockets -- everything was zipped up tightly inside our coats. We laughed about it afterward, but wouldn't have been funny for a tourist who kept their wallet in their back or front pocket or left their handbag over their shoulder.

Like I said, this could have happened anywhere. Just enjoy your trip -- use your noggin, exercise caution and you'll be fine. you'll love Spain.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:49 AM

I think the Barcelona metro is a prime location for the ne'er- do-wells, I'm sure in part because after 20 trips to Europe, that is where I was their target. We returned several days later and within 10 minutes, we could see them at work. Last spring, same thing - you can sit in the metro station (the heavily touristed ones) and just see them ply their trade. In the spring, we did see a few police in the station but the stations can be huge and they just flow from one platform to the other. Again I repeat, if you watch for them you will see them. Often they get near the door of the train and then stop, blocking the door, the train pulls out and they have not boarded (but probabbly have scored some loot). They also work the inside of the cars but the blocking the door seems to be an efficient method of operating for them. I've seen this in Rome too, on the buses.

All this being said, my suggestion is to travel light - valuable wise. Take limited cash and one CC - leave another behind at the hotel. I keep a tight hold of my purse, but they are quite good at purse dipping (they lifted out an inner coin purse when they got me) so sometimes I put my valuables in an inner pocket and random crap in my coin purse.
I am not really a fan of money belts as I don't want to have to fish the valuables out from under my clothes and in the belt when I have to pay.

I've suggested this before - I think our Fodor's community should step up to the plate and mount a counter-offensive. The word for "thief" in Spanish is "ladron" or "ladrones". When we saw these guys at work, we just shouted it, they ran. Just think that if everyday, someone was shouting this at them - well probably they would just move along but it might just make the Barcelona metro system a bit safer for our fellow travelers. And report back here for a "well done"!
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 06:55 AM

Hi, macinpv

I recently returned from a trip to Barcelona and I’m happy to report that neither I nor DH had any experience with pickpockets, nor did we witness any. We did ride the subway and we did walk along Las Ramblas, too. Part of that may be luck and part may have been an excess of caution on my part because I, too, read way too many horror stories about Barcelona.

Here are some of the precautions I took. I didn’t take any valuables on my trip and limited my jewelry to a simple watch and wedding band. I didn’t take any more credit cards than I intended to use and kept my cash on hand to a minimum. I took a very small purse that I could wear across my body and in front, and kept it zipped and under my jacket. I didn’t take it off while I was in public, including at restaurants.

I also was very conscious of people around me. If a crowd was gathered to look at something, I didn’t stop and join them. I didn’t purchase anything on the street but waited until I got into a store. There are plenty of opportunities to buy souvenirs in reputable stores, so I didn’t see any need to put myself at risk by opening my wallet on the street. The only ATMs I used were inside buildings, not on the street. If the escalators at the subway looked crowded, I took the stairs.

I think it’s also important that I not do any business with people who approach me. I didn’t stick my hand out to receive flyers that vendors presented me. I didn’t engage in conversations with aggressive street sellers or people asking me if I speak English.

On the subway we witnessed an American teen loudly talking to his aunt and uncle about his expensive camera and how much it was insured for as he demonstrated how it worked. At least half the car was staring at him making a target of himself. I recommend keeping your voice down, especially on the subway, and don’t flash your belongings.

In hindsight, I spent WAY too much time worrying about pickpockets. Barcelona is a lovely city and the majority of its inhabitants are decent honest people. Take a few reasonable precautions and then get on with the business of enjoying your trip. It was a wonderful experience for me and I bet it will be for you, too.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 07:05 AM

I forgot to add that for non-valuable bulky items like a sweater or a guidebook, I used a plastic shopping bag that I acquired locally. My small purse was large enough for a small change purse, cell phone, digital camera, lip balm, pen, and not much else.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
suec1 has a good point. cutting down on valuables you have on your person is an easy solution. if you don't have an expensive camera, cellphone, lots of cash or cards, there's nothing much to get stolen! no decent theif is going to care about my canvas shopping bag from the grocery store (a good idea from South2North) with a street map, pen, notebook, disposable camera, bottle of water, sweater in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -