Piazza della Liberta -Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience staying near this Piazza? Any good restaurant recommendations close by? This is in the historical city center but bordering the outskirts of the center I believe. Our hotel is across the street. Is it a fairly safe area to walk around late night? Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is not in what I would call the historical center (centro storico) of Florence. It's about a mile from the Duomo, and other sights are even farther away. If this is where you're staying (and I'm not suggesting you shouldn't), you should learn about the various bus lines that will take you closer to the sights.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. Staying at the Lorenzo il Magnifico with a bus in front of the hotel but I was thinking of walking back in the evenings from the center area. I haven't read much that is available about the area or about restaurants close by. I did read that homeless people hang out at the park but that could be anywhere?
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:04 PM

The area is very trafficked, day and night, as it is on the outer ring and the flow of cars never stops. I would not consider it as dangerous as there are always people around; you do not need to cross the park when you walk. A good restaurant, not too distant, should be Trattoria Tito in via San Gallo.
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM

Are you booked and paid for at this hotel, if not there are options closer to the historical center that you should look into,
I was in Florence this week , now in Paris. I stayed at a wonderful very reasonably priced hotel in a fantastic location.
Hotel Casci It is on Via Cavour
I loved the hotel and the staff was great
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks tdk-it's booked but I am trying to change it. Your recommendation sounds great, hope I can switch.

Asps- thanks!
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. Hotel
Casci was not available to me but I was able to get a hotel 5-6 min walk from duomo on Via Tornabuoni. Cost an additional 19.5E a night but I make up some of the cost without having to bus back and forth to the center. Thanks again!
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Via Tornabuoni is a very upscale shopping street (Prada, Tiffany, Gucci, etc.) and close to everything.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

That's great to know! Although it may just be window shopping for me!
Old May 20th, 2013, 05:20 PM

If you love shoes, don't miss the Ferragamo Shoe Museum on Via Tornabuoni near the Santa Trinita bridge. Closed Tuesdays. The website has a link to entry reservations. I don't know if they're absolutely necessary, but if your trip is in high season I would make reservations. Tickets are cheap.

http://www.museoferragamo.it/en/
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

I am getting more and more pleased with the hotel change. I would love to do something like that. Talking to my mom about letting hubby, dad and kids do their thing with the lamborghini museum and having her and I do some relaxing, strolling and shopping in Florence instead. Hubby is all for it since he can now rent a 4 seater instead of a larger car (cheaper too) and he knows he can probably sneak Ferrari into his itinerary. Thanks Jean, the shoe museum sounds right up my alley.
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM

Well, don't get me started on Florence museums... Here's one of my lesser-known favorites. It's around the corner from the Accademia Gallery.

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/mus...etre_dure.html

The last time we were there, our group (of 4) were the only people in the place!
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM

I can't help myself... If you like lace, there is an amazing collection in the Museo di Palazzo Davanzati which is just a couple of blocks off Via Tornabuoni. Open mornings only. The building is a 15th C. tower house of a successful merchant. The general admission ticket (cheap) gives access to the lower floors (and lace collection), but the group tour (reservations required) covers the entire house.

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en/musei/?m=davanzati [click on the "History" link]
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean! The only day we can go to Burano, the lace museum is closed so this is great! I'll probably hit both the shoe/lace museum if we split our group for the day. This is great, would not have known about these places!