Reload this Page >

Florence - what district to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 10:06 AM
BTD

hi<BR>i'm not researching my accomodations for Florence. I'm getting really confused about what areas are "nice" and what areas are "seedy/ghetto".<BR><BR>I'm doing my best to read the archived posts but i'm finding myself getting more and more confused.<BR><BR>I don't want to stay near the train station or "seedy" districts....can someone who knows Florence well, please advise?<BR><BR>thanks.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:18 PM
francesca

I have visited Florence several times and have most enjoyed staying in the Oltrarno--across the Arno river from the "main" part of Florence. This side is more charming, I think, and quieter. Florence is so small that you can easily get around no matter where you stay in the center. The Pensione Bandini in the Piazza Santo Spirito still looked nice when I was in town last year...in any case, that piazza is especially pretty. Have a good trip!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:24 PM
TJ

Santo Spirito was under construction when we were there so covered by a scaffolding. We found the oltrarno charming for dinner, I preferred staying on the other side where most of the sites are located. Given how small Florence is, I would focus on a hotel you like that is towards the center (consider the Ponte Vecchio a good idea for center). We stayed at the Excelsior which was quiet as it was on the edge of what I considered the center. Another hotel that looked great is the Savoy. I've heard great things about the Lungarno (just across in the Oltrarno), but they couldn't guarantee us a balcony which is what we wanted. Finally, Hotel Gallery Art was a great modern hotel right in the center, but around a small alley so was very quiet. We stopped and had drinks there (think the W Hotel style chain in the US).

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:38 PM

topping

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:59 AM

Topping

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:54 AM
a--z

My trip to Florence was of a short duration (3 nites) and so, I opted to stay fairly close to the Duomo. Agree that the "other" side of the Arno River is quieter, however I preferred staying in the thick of things.<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:57 AM
carol

We stayed in the area near the San Lorenzo market and it was noisy in a room on the street, but not seedy.