Phone calls from CDG airport

Jul 8th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Phone calls from CDG airport

We are supposed to call someone when we land and/or leave the airport area so they can meet us in the mdidle of Paris. We will arrive with some Euros in our pockets but presumably no coins and have never used a Paris public telephone. What will a local call cost? Do we just insert some coins and dial the number or do we need a special card?
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:31 AM
jay

how about a calling card?
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

So an AT&T phone card will work fine in a pay phone?
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Only AT&T can tell you that, and I imagine you have to have the right calling plan. You can get some calling cards in US before you go, so you'd have one handy, although they might not be as good as deal as the ones you buy in Paris. It took me a while to find a place selling a local phone card in CDG once, and then they were out of the cheapest one I wanted -- so it was kind of a hassle. If you know you need to make a call immediately, you might take one with you.

I think a lot of the public phones there won't take coins, anyway, only calling cards. If you do need a euro coin or so, buy something at a snack bar or sundries stand to get change.
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:54 AM

sherry: You need to check with AT&T. The vast majority of public phones in France now take only télécartes, which you can buy at any tabac or newsstand and other places, too, but you won't necessarily find one easily at the airport.

If you find out that your AT&T card won't work, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. I have at least a half-dozen old télécartes with at least a few minutes left on them and could mail one to you.
Jul 8th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Hi. I always carry an AT&T calling card when I travel. The best deal is by going to Sams Club and purchasing it there. If you do not have a Sams Club membership, just go to Walmart and pick one up there.

Using a phone card is very simple once you get the hang of it. Go to AT&T website (www.att.com) and get the country code in order to make your call.

Once you get through to the AT&T automated phone service, you punch in your 1-800 number on the back of your calling card. Then it will have you punch in your code on the back of the card. Then it will say "To make a call within the U.S., press one, to make a call to Europe, press two." Make sure you pick option two.

I have discovered that you are still required to punch in the country code before the actual telephone number that you are trying to reach in Europe. If this doesn't make sense, call AT&T and have them walk you through the process before going over to Europe.

Also, I have used AT&T cards all over France. I have never had any problems using the card at a pay phone. I also used it at the Paris Airport several times. Good luck.
Jul 8th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Since we leave this weekend, we'll take an AT&T card with us, though that was a very nice offer, St. Cirq.