Telephone at CDG airport

Search

Telephone at CDG airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Telephone at CDG airport

When I arrive in Paris next month I am supposed to make a phone call from the airport. Do I need a phone card? Where can I get one? So far my experiments in telephoning from public phones in Paris have met with mixed results, still trying to master the concept.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nikki,<BR>I recently needed to call from CDG. I bought a phone card from the newsstand, but it was 15 euro (yikes). My French is limited, but if you fumble around enough an operator comes on line, and they switch to an English speaker. The operators for the phone service were actually very helpful. I guess they should be for 15 euro. <BR><BR>Sorry, I don't have any other advice to give you. I am sure the more experienced francophiles can help out.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:57 AM

I am curious too. I am going to Paris next month and staying in an apartment. I was given several numbers to call to meet my party when I get to the airport. Also I will need a phone card to make calls from the apartment.<BR><BR>I don't anticipate using the telephone more than 4-5 times for short calls during my trip. Can I get a phone card for around 5 Euro at the airport newsstand that I can use both at the airport and the apartment, and if needed, at a public telephone booth in the city?<BR><BR>Is the Paris telephone system a &quot;swipe the card, pick up the phone and dial your number&quot; kind of system?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:36 AM

Mikeee, I asked for a cheaper card, but the newsstand person said they didn't have a lesser amount. I can't imagine that they don't, however. This was the kind where you scratched off your pin number and then called an 800 like number. It then asks for your pin number.<BR><BR>Once I got through it worked fine. <BR><BR>Phone cards are sometimes different for pay phones versus fixed phones, such as an apartment. You need to make clear that you want a phone for both.<BR><BR>In the Amsterdam airport recently, I needed to contact a colleague in the Hague. Instead of phoning, I emailed him. Luckily, he was on his computer at the time. Alas, CDG does not have dozens of internet stations like AMS (LOVE that airport).<BR><BR>I guess I really should invest in a triband cellular phone.<BR><BR>
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:57 AM

You can take an ATT card bought at Sam's or Costco. There is a number on the card packed with it for access in various countries. It might do as a stopgap--have it with you.